The Broody Duck Thread for 2014

I know what you mean. At 1st I couldn't wait for them to start setting, then I couldn't wait for the eggs to hatch, then for the ducklings to grow enough for poultry pellets and swimming, then for them to be big enough to integrate into the flock. Now there's 1 duck setting, due to hatch Saturday and I can't wait for it to be all over. My flock of 12 is now 21 and 14 eggs to hatch. I think I've had enough for this year.
Are you going to be keeping all these new lil ones?

You know some breeds just don't have the broodiness anymore, and not real sure how much is bred out or just natural to begin with, but don't give up when you lest expect a broody duck that's when you are likely to get one. or venture off the beaten path and get a Muscovy to do the brooding for ya. Not sure why your drake isn't breeding with your females are you sure there is no mating going on?

We're starting to get eggs but no one is interested in brooding just trying to live through the frigid weather is on every ones mind right now, I don't know how ya'll deal with it further north, ya'll are some hardy folks is all I can say.
miss Lydia, HELP!!! I need your help. about a month ago I had two hens on one nest with 5 eggs. 4 eggs were thrown out. I made another nest for the second duck and she is using it. the other nest with the one egg I left alone. I honestly didn't think the egg was viable but I let the duck sit figuring she would give up on it if it wasn't alive. well sat was the 35th day and the egg was still there. I was going to throw it away but I didn't have the heart figuring she would give up on it. low and behold the egg hatched last night! we have one baby. the duck Is in with it. I read to separate the drake from them so I tried to do that today by putting a divider up and making sure she had food and water for her and the baby. I had to go out for a while when I got back about two hours later the drake was in with her. he flew up over he divider. I don't know what to do. I don't know if I should let her keep the baby since she went through so much to care for it or take it out and brood it. I don't want anything to happen to it. I am afraid if I continue to try to separate the drake it will stress out her and the other duck sitting. please tell me what to do! Also, will she feed it??? right now she has it in a very deep nest, not sure how it would get out to eat by itself it's so small.

miss Lydia, HELP!!! I need your help. about a month ago I had two hens on one nest with 5 eggs. 4 eggs were thrown out. I made another nest for the second duck and she is using it. the other nest with the one egg I left alone. I honestly didn't think the egg was viable but I let the duck sit figuring she would give up on it if it wasn't alive. well sat was the 35th day and the egg was still there. I was going to throw it away but I didn't have the heart figuring she would give up on it. low and behold the egg hatched last night! we have one baby. the duck Is in with it. I read to separate the drake from them so I tried to do that today by putting a divider up and making sure she had food and water for her and the baby. I had to go out for a while when I got back about two hours later the drake was in with her. he flew up over he divider. I don't know what to do. I don't know if I should let her keep the baby since she went through so much to care for it or take it out and brood it. I don't want anything to happen to it. I am afraid if I continue to try to separate the drake it will stress out her and the other duck sitting. please tell me what to do! Also, will she feed it??? right now she has it in a very deep nest, not sure how it would get out to eat by itself it's so small.
I'd get the drake out of there make the divider higher but with just one duckling in the nest it would be better if the drake isn't in there. She'll care for the duckling better if he isn't in with them. She won't feed the duckling but she'll show it where the food and water is so give the ducklings a waterer that it can not fall into and drown place moms water up on something to keep duckling out of it, first week a chick waterer will work. ducklings don't need to eat for first 24 hrs they are living off the yolk sac. but if you feel the duckling can't get out then you may just have to go in and fix the problem but I'd watch and wait till tomorrow hopefully she'll get it up to eat by then. temp fencing works well for divider.

I'd get the drake out of there make the divider higher but with just one duckling in the nest it would be better if the drake isn't in there. She'll care for the duckling better if he isn't in with them. She won't feed the duckling but she'll show it where the food and water is so give the ducklings a waterer that it can not fall into and drown place moms water up on something to keep duckling out of it, first week a chick waterer will work. ducklings don't need to eat for first 24 hrs they are living off the yolk sac. but if you feel the duckling can't get out then you may just have to go in and fix the problem but I'd watch and wait till tomorrow hopefully she'll get it up to eat by then. temp fencing works well for divider.
ok, I did put the divider back up to keep the other duck out and the baby in but he was still able to get over it. I will make it so the drake stays out. I had already put a small chick waterer in and some crumbles as well as water and food for mom up on a 2 x 6 pc of wood. is it ok to let the mother out with the others if she want or should I keep her in with the baby all the time. she likes to leave the baby in the nest and go out in the pen to take a swim with the others, should I not let her do that?

ok, I did put the divider back up to keep the other duck out and the baby in but he was still able to get over it. I will make it so the drake stays out. I had already put a small chick waterer in and some crumbles as well as water and food for mom up on a 2 x 6 pc of wood. is it ok to let the mother out with the others if she want or should I keep her in with the baby all the time. she likes to leave the baby in the nest and go out in the pen to take a swim with the others, should I not let her do that?
As long as you can stay by and watch the duckling for her I've never had a mama leave her newly hatched ducklings before so this is a new one for me, you just don't want anyone able to get to the duckling while mom is away. if she is leaving for long periods of time the baby may get chilled too.

Last edited:
As long as you can stay by and watch the duckling for her I've never had a mama leave her newly hatched ducklings before so this is a new one for me, you just don't want anyone able to get to the duckling while mom is away. if she is leaving for long periods of time the baby may get chilled too.

oh, I didn't know she shouldn't leave it? she came out to eat twice a day to clean herself the whole time she we sitting. i thought it was normal. the other duck that is sitting is doing the same thing. she comes off the eggs at feeding time. they have pellets and water all the time but we feed them clover and mealworms twice a day in their pool and they never miss a meal. hmmmm, she was out earlier with the other duck and the drake and the baby was in the nest. she comes out for maybe 5 to 8 minutes then goes back in with him. do you think I should take the baby away? the only reason I hesitate to do that is he is an only child and would not have any companion. I just didn't want him to be alone but if you think it's best I will do that. I am not in the barn all the time to watch the mom. I was just letting her do what she wants thinking she knows.

oh, I didn't know she shouldn't leave it? she came out to eat twice a day to clean herself the whole time she we sitting. i thought it was normal. the other duck that is sitting is doing the same thing. she comes off the eggs at feeding time. they have pellets and water all the time but we feed them clover and mealworms twice a day in their pool and they never miss a meal. hmmmm, she was out earlier with the other duck and the drake and the baby was in the nest. she comes out for maybe 5 to 8 minutes then goes back in with him. do you think I should take the baby away? the only reason I hesitate to do that is he is an only child and would not have any companion. I just didn't want him to be alone but if you think it's best I will do that. I am not in the barn all the time to watch the mom. I was just letting her do what she wants thinking she knows.
yes they should come off the eggs to eat bathe and most of all poop but once ducklings begin to hatch they should stay put and stay put till they bring ducklings off nest. which is usually 2-3 days after hatch,. They don't always know what's best first time around but if you don't notice any one messing with the duckling then just leave things as they are and hopefully the lil one will be okay. I usually put mealworms in with feed when I have broodys or new hatches so mom doesn't have to go far, this is just me though everyone has their own way of doing things. and I've lost a few ducklings to other flock members so I am very over protective no.

I think if you've just got one, I might put mum + baby in a dog crate... That way she can't leave.

And who ever asked about encouraging Mom to make her nest in a better area, sorry don't recall who, it sometimes works to simply start placing the eggs in the spot where you'd like her to sit.

Back
Top Bottom