The Broody Duck Thread for 2014

OK the second one, IS definitely a no gooder, it doesn't look fertiled.  The first one, need a better pic.

But where are you today with these??
We opened up 4 so far and you could tell right away they were not good no movement and smelled kinda bad this is the only one left
sorry it's not the best picture the air sac is pretty small and I'm not sure what the darker spot is

What would cause them all to go bad like that. I'm trying to decide is I have another one go broody which I'm pretty sure she is if I want to try again my kids are pretty heartbroken we only have the 1.

We opened up 4 so far and you could tell right away they were not good no movement and smelled kinda bad this is the only one left sorry it's not the best picture the air sac is pretty small and I'm not sure what the darker spot is
If this is past its due date, then is done. The black spot could be the embryo that quit OR inside the egg has collected some bacteria. My guess, The embryo..

If this is past its due date, then is done.  The black spot could be the embryo that quit OR inside the egg has collected some bacteria.  My guess, The embryo..
We are 4 days past the due date I think I'm gonna open it to and see

What would cause them all to go bad like that. I'm trying to decide is I have another one go broody which I'm pretty sure she is if I want to try again my kids are pretty heartbroken we only have the 1.
Well my Theroy is you have to give them two weeks to breed at least, when I have tried to hatch eggs before the two weeks, they have always turned out Clear. Clear usually means not fertiled however other factors could be the reason as well.

As far as the other one, well he's just a quitter and sometimes you do get that, if the Momma gets off the egg to long, this will cause it, if the egg gets to cold, if theres water in the area and it's been submerged. There's quite a few reasons as to why they quite it could even be the parents diet. But after 10 days, you can tell if you are going to have a good hatching or not, there's no reason to wait full term, in fact, I do not advise it because adventurally the egg builds up gasses and can cause it to Explode THEN you have a HUGE mess on your hands. LOL Even if they are under the hen they can still Explode and if that happens, who or however many eggs are under her at the time. Will not hatch.. if they do it's ONLY because they were in a safe spot and didn't get that exploding egg on them.

Back
Top Bottom