The Broody Duck Thread for 2014

Hello Miss Lydia, well I was finally able to separate the drake and other hen. all was going really pretty good for the last few days, until this morning. I went into the barn and my wall I put up had been breached and the mother was in with the drake and the other sitting duck. At first I couldn't find "Boomer" (that's what we named it because he was born on the 4th of July) and as I looked frantically for him I noticed how calm everyone was so I thought he might be dead when low and behold there he was sitting in the nest with the other hen with his mom laying next to them??? It was pretty amazing seeing him sitting there so comfortable. I went ahead with my normal feeding routine and all three ducks went out to the pool for breakfast while boomer ate his inside where it was safe. we watched for a long period of time to make sure he was ok with them and it appears that the two hens are switching off and on the eggs and whichever one is in the nest is the one he lays with. it's like he has two mothers? is this something ducks do or do you think it's because these three ducks are so close they share responsibility? The drake was a very good boy he never bothered the baby as a matter of fact the baby followed him around this morning. I've never had baby ducks before and I have to say that watching these three interact with this little duck is heart warming. It was very warm today and I noticed he spent a lot of time exploring. I'm not sure how this will all turn out especially when the other 4 eggs hatch in a couple of weeks but we are

taking things one day at a time right now. The pic is not the best but you can see him sitting between the two ducks. Thank you so much

Hello Miss Lydia, well I was finally able to separate the drake and other hen. all was going really pretty good for the last few days, until this morning. I went into the barn and my wall I put up had been breached and the mother was in with the drake and the other sitting duck. At first I couldn't find "Boomer" (that's what we named it because he was born on the 4th of July) and as I looked frantically for him I noticed how calm everyone was so I thought he might be dead when low and behold there he was sitting in the nest with the other hen with his mom laying next to them??? It was pretty amazing seeing him sitting there so comfortable. I went ahead with my normal feeding routine and all three ducks went out to the pool for breakfast while boomer ate his inside where it was safe. we watched for a long period of time to make sure he was ok with them and it appears that the two hens are switching off and on the eggs and whichever one is in the nest is the one he lays with. it's like he has two mothers? is this something ducks do or do you think it's because these three ducks are so close they share responsibility? The drake was a very good boy he never bothered the baby as a matter of fact the baby followed him around this morning. I've never had baby ducks before and I have to say that watching these three interact with this little duck is heart warming. It was very warm today and I noticed he spent a lot of time exploring. I'm not sure how this will all turn out especially when the other 4 eggs hatch in a couple of weeks but we are

taking things one day at a time right now. The pic is not the best but you can see him sitting between the two ducks. Thank you so much
What a nice story so glad for you it had worked out this way. Baby looks very content. and if drake is fine so far then hopefully it will continue most likely the new ducklings will be accepted just as easy. Keep us updated please. Sometimes 2 ducks will share a nest and sometimes it goes good and sometimes it doesn't just depends on the ducks so far sounds like it's working for you all. Duckling is adorable by the way.

Last edited:
There is broody fever going around here. Its an epidemic. My two Runners hatched 14 already, and one is back on ANOTHER nest already. Then the darn goose keeps starting nests, laying for a little while then giving up and starting a new one. My Cayugas and my gold WH have taken over the abandoned goose nests. So, 4 nests now?? They keep nest hopping. It is ridiculous!

What's it looking like this morning? I'd candle each day that way you can notice any changes 
Okay 2 of them look like this
and 2 of them look like this

Okay 2 of them look like this and 2 of them look like this

Are you sure she started brooding all these eggs at the same time? Really not sure on those 2. seems air sac is straight across instead of tilted
Oh and mama and baby look like this morning
That is an adorable pic.

Back
Top Bottom