The Broody Hen Hunt

Geckolady

Counting Chickens B4 They're Hatched
Sep 12, 2020
east central Arizona
I’m thinking of getting some broody hens to hatch out some eggs, since my pullets have pretty much zero interest in sitting on eggs. I say pretty much, because the youngest and smallest pullet will sometimes go sit on the ceramic eggs for a while, like maybe she has this idea in the back of her brain that way back when, chickens sat on eggs. Then that idea exits her brain in a short period off time, and she’s off to do other chicken-y things. Still waiting on her to start laying. The other two give me an egg a day like clockwork.

Anyway, what I’d like is a breed that’s on the small side, since Leghorns don’t get that large and I don’t want them bullied. I’d like a breed that lays brown eggs, so I’ll know which ones are theirs and can use them for omelets, while subbing the Leghorn eggs for theirs. They must be good mothers.

Two personal preferences—I don’t care for feathered legs, and I’d prefer to avoid green or blue egg layers. I know the nutrition in those eggs is the same, but (don’t beat me over the head), those colored eggs just seem less appetizing to me.

The breed will need to be readily available, and able to take the heat of Arizona’s high desert. It doesn’t get as hot as the Phoenix area here because we’re at a higher altitude, but it does get warm in the summer. (Warm=over 100 degrees Fahrenheit.)

OK, forum people, find me my dream hatching breed! :D I’ll check this thread after work. And thanks for your ideas.

I have an incubator, but would prefer to use hens because I worry about the setup and the possibility of fires. And if a chicken will do most of the work--why not?

My pullets normally don’t become broody. My hens over a year old become broody.
Not everyone in a chicken breed will become broody.
I have 16 Easter eggers and only 1 become broody once a year. The others have no internal interest.

I personally would wait to see how the pullets act after another year. You may have one that will be broody.

I have some Silver Grey Dorking's that I'm trying to sell and I'm right here in AZ. I have a cockerel and 7 pullet's that are just starting to lay egg's. They are already accustomed to being in with a mixed flock and have never been free-ranged. They were hatched at Murry McMurry's hatchery, and I have had them since they were 4 week's old. I'm hoping that they can all go together, as there aren't many that are doing the Dorking's. Here's a link where you can read up on this breed.

https://pethelpful.com/farm-pets/Silver-Grey-Dorkings-Rare-Heritage-Chicken-Poultry-Breed-Breeds

My pullets normally don’t become broody. My hens over a year old become broody.
Not everyone in a chicken breed will become broody.
I have 16 Easter eggers and only 1 become broody once a year. The others have no internal interest.

I personally would wait to see how the pullets act after another year. You may have one that will be broody.

I've been told that broodiness has been pretty much bred out of Leghorns, so the chances of a broody hen are pretty slim.

I have some Silver Grey Dorking's that I'm trying to sell and I'm right here in AZ. I have a cockerel and 7 pullet's that are just starting to lay egg's. They are already accustomed to being in with a mixed flock and have never been free-ranged. They were hatched at Murry McMurry's hatchery, and I have had them since they were 4 week's old. I'm hoping that they can all go together, as there aren't many that are doing the Dorking's. Here's a link where you can read up on this breed.

https://pethelpful.com/farm-pets/Silver-Grey-Dorkings-Rare-Heritage-Chicken-Poultry-Breed-Breeds

Thanks for the offer, but I'm only looking for one or maybe two girls. Since they're an uncommon heritage breed, I'd feel guilty taking their eggs and putting the Cuckoo Leghorn eggs underneath them. I wouldn't feel guilty about doing that with a common breed. They're nice looking, though.

I know I'm late and you said you don't care for feathered legs, but I have 3 cochin bantam pullets and 2 out of 3 are faithful broodies. I have also heard silkies will sit on anything. To get a hen to sit put golf balls or fake eggs in a nest, about 5 of them, when a hen/pullet starts sitting, save up the amount of eggs you want her to sit on and store them pointy end down. When you are ready, take out the fake eggs and replace them with the real eggs. Wait 21 days and you should have chicks! Keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom