The Buckeye Thread

As Christmas approaches, I'm thinking of developing a biometrics program for our flock here. I plan to use the program in making breeding selections based on objective data vs subjective eye. I've got the digital scale, calipers are no problem in obtaining, but I'm wondering what measurements everyone else considers important or if you guys have any thoughts. Currently my list is:

skull width
shoulder width
heart girth
length of back
thickness of shank

Any suggestions?

Vent area width and depth, although most gauge by finger/palm size. Keel length, although it can be difficult to tell on some birds. Wing size, as far as meat/bone is concerned.

I've got some digital calipers that go to micrometre I plan to go over my birds with the first weekend of January. I'll try to get you an idea of what mine measure out to.

How by doing all of these measurements are you going to ensure that you are staying within the SOP type and guidelines?

The SOP states weights, tail angles, and gives suggestions as to what medium head width(pg28), broad back(pg 29) etc.

I do like the description of the head- it should be strong, moderately long, well filled in forward of the eyes to avoid crow head, with skull somewhat flat on top rather than round. And I would take the description they give in the head section that includes Cornish or other meat types "where a more massive type of head is more appropriate.

So to me you need visual as well as possible measurements. The issue is the judges aren't going to "measure" the birds body parts. It's a visual/feel for them.

I had some delicious made from scratch buckeye chicken and noodles for thanksgiving. Its a big hit at the family get togethers.

Back
Top Bottom