The Buckeye Thread

Pics
I'll throw this up here, it is a quick hack, far from a fancy finished work. But I find when one drops out the color and gradations, one can see the shape of a bird. This shows my bird on the left, and a 1915 illustration of an ideal Buckeye on the right.

I note my bird's back is not sloping as much as I'd like (one of the things I'm working on) and in this image his neck has an odd bump which doesn't appear there when he walks around, but it's an interesting thing to look at. I'm getting there...

If anyone has pictures of their birds they'd like me to silhouette for them, send me a PM, happy to do so.

Love the silhouettes Laura. They are a great learning tool. I've seen many old timers say to put a silhouette of your breed in your coop so you can keep that all important shape in your head when evaluating birds.

The pictures may look similar at first glance, but the new photo was clearly enlarged against the other, they are standing differently, heads turned at different angles, but most of all a silhouette doesn't tell even half the story about a bird.
I agree with you that the proportions of the two depictions are not exactly the same so you have to adjust your eye for that. The 1915 SOP is an artist rendition where the artist can illustrate a standing bird perfectly. I trust the APA Judge got this right because he could handle the bird & feel the body underneath the feathers. There was at least one other breeder who showed Buckeyes at the show, Isn't that true, Laura? A good judge will go back and forth sometimes between two birds, handling them, feeling the differences -- you can only tell so much from a photo! Adjusting for the proportions, Laura's bird has the same overall shape as the 1915 SOP illustration.

When you actually see most Buckeyes in person, you will note their backs slope properly (slightly down toward the tail). Most photos do not convey the same. I have seen some photos of good birds that looks like their backs flip up. I suspect Laura's bird's back slopes slightly down. The back angles are NOT a problem area for the breed (although one would think looking at some of the photos).

I like seeing my birds in molt because I can see their shape really good and can see all the angles properly.

So, blueface3, are you going to be listed this year in the APA Yearbook with that big win this month? You are officially a Grand Master with the Buckeyes, correct? I am looking forward to see your name in there.

Silhouettes Give you a picture of the outline of the bird. it it will point out the flaws you have as far as the shape of the bird ,it does not give any depth to the bird so you cannot learn about your stock color other than you need to improve the general appearance as far as shape of the bird. Silhouettes are a great training tool to compare, if you want to show the flaws.

Silhouettes Give you a picture of the outline of the bird. it it will point out the flaws you have as far as the shape of the bird ,it does not give any depth to the bird so you cannot learn about your stock color other than you need to improve the general appearance as far as shape of the bird. Silhouettes are a great training tool to compare, if you want to show the flaws.
That is why I like to get many angles when I take pictures of my birds, especially when I want to show them to others. How can I improve if I don't show what is wrong with the bird as well as what I think is right?

Last edited:

Reserve Champion American Lebanon Poultry Show 2011. Owned by myself and daughter. Between him and the new buckeye line (Shumaker) we are working on breeding to Nettie's vision of what the Buckeye should be including the SOP description.

"However, if I bred the animal, I will automatically have some bias. I could blow sunshine up their butt and tell them how great that bird is to make myself look better, but the real evaluation of a bird is when a qualified judge can tell you what is good and what is bad."

Really? I am exactly the opposite. I am more inclined to pick a bird apart and only grudgingly concede it's good points if I am the breeder. If someone is unable to honestly evaluate their own stock, how can they call themselves a breeder?

"As for pictures, as long as no one's name is attached to a picture, what harm is there in critiquing so others can learn? When a person enters birds into a public show, they have opened themselves and their entries up to public scrutiny as well as the judges. (snip) It's as simple as that."

Actually, it's not so simple, as most public events have rules about posting any photos taken there and who retains the rights to those photos.

"When a person enters a show, they are, by proxy, saying "Look at my bird. I want to know how good or bad it is."

I have a feeling they are paying an entry fee to the show giving club to provide an opportunity for their bird to be appraised by *the Judge*, and other respected breeders. I doubt very many people enter shows because they are dying to know what every newbie with an internet connection thinks about their stock.

"If you post online and show your stock, you are also saying, "Look at my bird." If I didn't want any comments on my pictures, I would say something like , "This is just to look at. I don't want any comments on it." That would be pretty foolish now, wouldn't it?"

Posting pictures of yourself or your own stock online is not the same as sneaking around at an event and taking pictures of *other* people or their property to post later. Especially if there is advertising involved on the page or website, you might want to be very careful about getting a release signed before you start posting those photos. Just sayin'.

Back
Top Bottom