The Buckeye Thread

Pics
Just wondering who is headed to the Ohio National this year? I had some plans to go so I could get lost wandering among the cages, but my Husband recently discovered that pipe fences are hard on cars, so, no Humongous Chicken Show for me
hmm.png

Last edited:
They/me should always consult the SOP when dealing with a breed they may not see often. One of the best things breed clubs or breeders can do is to educate judges. Judges may act like they are not paying attention, but it does a lot of good educating the judges.

W
I felt bad for a girl from out county at the State Fair. She had White Jersey Giants and he told her the legs were to be slate, but they were and should be willow green. She was upset but didn't want to be rude. I said she should have gone to show him after the show. Would that be wrong, Walt?

The sketch in the SOP shows a pea comb well from the angle it is drawn, but it doesn't show that it should lay along the curve the the head. I see so many that stick up in the back to a point, and that is something that really turns me off. I try to keep the ones that remain tight and the middle row straight. My hardest thing to get is with no curve at the bottom. It isn't significant on the birds I select, but for combs, that is what I am working to fix on them.

I googled Nettie Metcalf and found a picture in an article she wrote featuring this Buckeye. I wish there was a front view of the comb but the picture seems consistent from those who posted on here.

Quote:
I think you are placing way to much on fig. 14 than you have to & building in requirements that are not there. Better to use the written descriptions in relation to the drawing.

The SOP describes a pea comb as " A medium length, low comb, the top of which is marked with three low lengthwise ridges, the center one slightly higher than the outer ones, the top of which are either undulated or marked with small rounded serrations, (fig. 14) a breed characteristic found in Ameraucanas, Brahmas, Buckeyes, Cornish, Cubalayas and Sumatras."

If a Buckeye comb meets the above definition and for a male "medium is size, firm and set closely on head" and for a Buckeye female the difference is that it is "moderately small," (relative to the head), then all is well. It is why there is some variation in Buckeye pea combs (and the same variation should be in the Cornish & Sumatra but not in the other breeds who have a pea comb). The Buckeye comb SOP description does not reference fig 14.

Let me explain.

I think the head featured in the SOP figure 14 is a Brahma. A Brahmas pea comb is described in more detail so a Buckeye pea comb would not necessarily have to be the same shape. In the male Brahma, the pea comb is "small, firm and even on head, lower and narrower in front and rear than in the center, each row evenly serrated, points in front and rear smaller than those in center, (fig. 14)." (emphasis is mine)

So a Buckeyes pea comb would be larger in the male in relation to the head than a Brahmas pea comb. A Buckeye would be OK with either undulated OR small rounded serrations since not specified (whereas a Brahmas should have evenly serrated). Also, no requirement on the Buckeye that it be lower and narrower in the front and rear -- This may explain why there is more variation in the pictures featured & has always been so with the Buckeye. I don't think we need to put more requirements on the Buckeye comb than in the SOP.

The Buckeye comb simpler description is much like the Cornish. The Cornish male's comb should be "moderately small." "firmly and closely set upon the head." So again, relative to the head, the male Buckeye comb is larger (medium size).

A male Ameraucana's comb is "relatively small, higher in the center than front or rear." Again, an added requirement on height of the comb and small.

A Cubalayas pea comb is different. The SOP says "starting at base of beak, with three irregularly undulating lines, almost serrationless, joined at base, shorter at front and higher at rear, firm and upright on head. Comb not to extend past line with eye."

The Sumatra pea comb, the SOP simply says, "Pea, small." This is for both male and female.

More variation permitted with Buckeye, Cornish and Sumatra than the more descriptive pea combs of Brahma and to a lesser extent, the Ameraucana.

I'd argue that relative to the head, the male Buckeye has the larger pea comb than any other SOP breed. As long as your combs are correct size and three rows, higher row in the middle, either undulating OR small rounded serrations, set closely on the head and firm, for a Buckeye, you're good to go. There are no other requirements. We have no requirement for low or high in front or rear, no narrower here or there, etc. SOP fig 14 adheres to the Brahma description. Descriptions are relative to breed and sex.

KISS. You may never think of pea combs the same!

could you evaluate the combs on these birds
I don't like the comb on #3 because it does not have the three clearly defined rows of serrations or undulations. The other bird looks younger than #3 (#3's comb is significantly larger relative to his head)

The above being said, I have not been breeding long enough to be selecting based upon combs. However, I have been fortunate enough not to see combs as a major problem with the breed. I am getting plenty of decent combs.

How many of you are going to be at Ohio Nationals next weekend? I just got my room booked and will be bringing my nine year old granddaughter and her 4-H adviser and her 12 year old son who is really into poultry. My granddaughter is the one who won grandchampion cockeral and grand pullet at our fair this year with two Buckeyes from my farm. I hope the kids (and us adults) will be able to meet a lot of you and get some good advice on how to raise and breed the best poultry possible! We are coming with cameras and minds ready to learn from you all!!! I had to rent a van too because the kids have decided that if they see something they like, they will spend their 4-H earnings on new breeding stock and I wanted to have enough room for cages........!

Back
Top Bottom