The Buckeye Thread

My father is an engineer. So he devised a filtration system with a fan that draws the air in the brooder up through the filters and out. This cuts all dander in the room and the broody box.

We use the black filter with finer cells then the white filter on top. Both of those can be bought online or local hardware store in rolls so you can cut them to the size of your fan box.

Okay, well, thanks anyway.

. Yes, in the show arena, this is called breeding ringers - birds that look like the breed they are shown as but are not pure. Perhaps that could be discussed on a thread somewhere about what is ethical in the show? I think I saw a thread somewhere recently about that stuff.

Well, now I know I'm out of the loop.
lol.png
To me using the word "ringer" to describe something means it's very, very good.
There's a somewhat similar term "dead ringer", which means switching out one horse before a competition for another one that looks identical, which is not good at all. I had not heard the term "ringer" used in the way you describe it. But then, I have a real horseshoe pit in my yard, where a "ringer" is not just a good thing, it's a winning thing.
smile.png

Speaking of crosses, I heard somewhere that a Delaware-Buckeye cross gives an autosexing meat bird. Anyone know more about this? I have freshly hatched Dels from a good breeder and two different lines of Buckeyes so I have some stock to play around with.

Speaking of crosses, I heard somewhere that a Delaware-Buckeye cross gives an autosexing meat bird. Anyone know more about this? I have freshly hatched Dels from a good breeder and two different lines of Buckeyes so I have some stock to play around with.

I've read were crossing buckeye to the barred rock caused the sex link to happen. I don't know of anyone who tried it with delewares. Now I'm curious. If you try it let us know your findings :)

A buckeye rooster over barred rock, dominique, or any other barred hen will give you sex links. Crossing a non-barred rooster over barred (or cuckoo) hens will give you black sex links. All of the first generation pullets will be black (with leakage...red in the case of buckeyes) and all of the first generation cockerels will be heterozygous barred (with only one copy of the barring gene). Pullets will be black at hatch and cockerels will be black with a white dot on their heads. The only color this may not work with is a white rooster, as white is a masking gene and could be masking barring (in which case all of the chicks would be barred regardless of gender). However, just like with the sex link layers from the hatchery it will only work with the first generation. A truely autosexing cross/breed would give you sex-linked colors generation after generation but I am not sure of the genetics on how to get there or if it is even possible with bucks.

I'd really like to try using buckeyes and cuckoo marans to get a sex-link cross at some point in the future. I have one barred rock/marans sex link hen and she lays the prettiest eggs. But she's a bit of a spaz. I don't know how the males of that cross turned out, as she's the only survivor of her hatch and none of the eggs that made it to lockdown were male anyway.

A buckeye rooster over barred rock, dominique, or any other barred hen will give you sex links.  Crossing a non-barred rooster over barred (or cuckoo) hens will give you black sex links.  All of the first generation pullets will be black (with leakage...red in the case of buckeyes) and all of the first generation cockerels will be heterozygous barred (with only one copy of the barring gene).  Pullets will be black at hatch and cockerels will be black with a white dot on their heads. The only color this may not work with is a white rooster, as white is a masking gene and could be masking barring (in which case all of the chicks would be barred regardless of gender).  However, just like with the sex link layers from the hatchery it will only work with the first generation.  A truely autosexing cross/breed would give you sex-linked colors generation after generation but I am not sure of the genetics on how to get there or if it is even possible with bucks.

I'd really like to try using buckeyes and cuckoo marans to get a sex-link cross at some point in the future.  I have one barred rock/marans sex link hen and she lays the prettiest eggs.  But she's a bit of a spaz.  I don't know how the males of that cross turned out, as she's the only survivor of her hatch and none of the eggs that made it to lockdown were male anyway.

Nice post. I don't have any barred birds on the property to try any of this with. I have seen the buck x barred rock and love the look of the red bleeding through the hackles of the hens.

I posted a thread about this already but someone suggested I put it here. Does anyone know what gender this is?
I was thinking it's a he because it has thicker legs, "droopy" feathers, and is a lot smaller, but heavier.

And here are the girls to compare: sorry I couldn't get many pictures. They all ran away.

Thanks for any advise. These chickens just turned 16 weeks
big_smile.png

I posted a thread about this already but someone suggested I put it here. Does anyone know what gender this is?
I was thinking it's a he because it has thicker legs, "droopy" feathers, and is a lot smaller, but heavier.

And here are the girls to compare: sorry I couldn't get many pictures. They all ran away.

Thanks for any advise. These chickens just turned 16 weeks
big_smile.png
Definitely a pullet. :)

Back
Top Bottom