The Buckeye Thread

Our hatchery Buckeyes don't lay large eggs, they simply do not. Can't speak to the SOP birds. Only from what I hear, they might lay larger eggs but less often...again only based on hearsay.

I'm focusing in improving egg production in my flock, it has been done by others with SOP birds, I think it will take me quite a long time- it's a bucket list project! I'm a bit surprised though that the hatchery Buckeyes don't lay eggs like crazy- from what I've learned from others, egg laying at least is usually a strength in the hatchery bred breeds. Strange!

I'm focusing in improving egg production in my flock, it has been done by others with SOP birds, I think it will take me quite a long time- it's a bucket list project! I'm a bit surprised though that the hatchery Buckeyes don't lay eggs like crazy- from what I've learned from others, egg laying at least is usually a strength in the hatchery bred breeds. Strange!

The hatchery Buckeye pullets/hens do lay very well, just not especially large eggs.

I'll post photos of my Buckeye hatching eggs when I download them from my phone.
Obviously then there are differences between the hatcheries in their stock. Maybe all hatchery Buckeyes should not be lumped together?
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Just a quick interjection since my time right now is scant for doing all but what I must, but I am having some much needed coffee....

I have done the Buckeye/Cornish cross, and they do produce a very nice, meat bird. They will still take 5-6 months to get a good roasting size, but I really liked the outcomes. I haven't done it in a few years and the Buckeyes I have now would likely make an even better hybrid with Cornish. That little experiment was using hatchery type Cornish hens. Now, I have Cornish that are WAY better for SOP type than those were. I am toying with the idea of trying again, but not this year.

Buckeyes should have a nice, even dark red colour, the only visible black should be in the tail. But when crossed with Dark Cornish, which is a double laced bird, the offspring should end up dark red with single lacing. The lacing will most likely not be a very good even lacing like you'd see in a Wyandotte, since this is a first generation cross and the offspring will only have one copy of the lacing Pg gene.

Back
Top Bottom