The Buckeye Thread

I have four 16-month old Buckeyes from unknown hatchery stock. They are dears in personality, smarts and friendliness. Mine vary greatly in their physical build and in their laying frequency. I agree with @goodb from what I've read too the lines have been tinkered with for both greater meat and more eggs, which I'm not crazy about as it affects their longevity. I think I would prefer in future ones that have been kept more to their heritage qualities. Unfortunately that is not the trend in breeding these days.
I can ship Some eggs next spring if your wanting heritage birds

I'm super interested in eggs, if you have a waitlist! We ordered a sampling of hatchery birds last year to try out, and our Buckeye and Australorp are by far our two favorites. Our Buckeye is the most outgoing, an expert killer of bugs, and is the only one who hasn't gotten any frostbite, even though we have a couple Sweeter Heaters! We'd love to start a breeding group <3

I don't know why I only now got a notification that you replied, weird, huh? If one of these goes broody I will keep you in mind. I have never hatched before, and have no experience or equipment for it. These are my first birds. But I do like them, these Buckeyes are tame, but not lap-sitters, and very smart and friendly. Do you have Buckeyes or other heritage birds?

I'm raising 4 pullets. I read they lay a little later around 7 to 9 months. Mine are 4 and 5 months, finishing up starter feed, but I've set down some oyster shell a couple days ago.

Are they good foragers?

One of my chicks when she was very young would chase mosquitos, flies, and nats that flew into the brooder. I pitched a couple crickets the brooder to see what would happen and she went straight for them before her sisters had a clue... then ran around screeching like a wild sparrow with it in her beak before gobbling it down.

Kills me every time I see that. They love grasshoppers and grass too.

Is he a Bantam Buckeye roo? This is Baby Girl. Yeah pretty sure he's a he....
However I named him that and I don't want to confuse him

Attachments

• 20221212_134847.jpg
    20221212_134847.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
  • 20221212_135048.jpg
    20221212_135048.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • 20221212_135055.jpg
    20221212_135055.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 2

Back