The Bunny Chat Thread - For Bunny Owners

Yep! We have large ground pens on dirt with shavings. My old hutches are in the pen, and expecting mamas are locked in at day 28 until they’re nursing well. It’s a colony setup. Two does are bred at the same time (usually a newbie and a vet). At 7 weeks the kits are separated by sex. Papa enjoys the social company, and all can see each other at all times. I do breeding in a temporary fenced portion of the buck run, so the hormones don’t make any of the boys go bonkers. But we butcher between 11-12 weeks.

I don’t know if this would work with every breed, but my silver foxes are chill for the most part. I only rotate bucks for genetic diversity though; adding a new doe to a colony is way too much drama for me.

The only thing I really want to add is more rain protection. It’s been a highly soggy winter and I find the rabbits stay in the hutches or the hay barn on rainy days. This spring I hope to make a 40’x8’ lean-to on the windward side of the run.
Thanks so much for replying! I just need to keep the princess from digging out. No breeding here, just 2 bunnies that I want to provide the best possible life.

Just noticed there is a bunny thread on here. Here is a picture of my lil bun Rabbi Cinnabon.

Attachments

• 20200828_161912(0).jpg
    20200828_161912(0).jpg
    590.9 KB · Views: 5
so my doe made a nest in her nest box and just started pulling fur outside the nest box will she move the fur or have the kits outside the nest box if so can i move the kits in the nest box the bottom of her cage is horse stall mats she did not build another nest just fur

She will have her kits where she pulls her fur - that's her nest. She moves the fur into the nest site as she pulls it. You can move the fur into the box and she may direct her attention there. If not you can move the fur and kits after she has them if you get to them before they chill. I do this all the time, but my floors are 2-3" of hay.

She will have her kits where she pulls her fur - that's her nest. She moves the fur into the nest site as she pulls it. You can move the fur into the box and she may direct her attention there. If not you can move the fur and kits after she has them if you get to them before they chill. I do this all the time, but my floors are 2-3" of hay.
ok thank you I went out to check on her again and she had 2 healthy kits and one stillborn both of the kits are otters

That's not many - give her some time to see if she has more. If she doesn't you may want to make sure they're indoors so they don't get chilled.
i was expecting her to have a small litter because she has not had one in a long time she pulled a lot of fur and they are in a horse barn in a draft free stall the low will be 37 and all the barn doors are shut I dont want them to miss a feeding do you think they will be ok for the night inside the nest box is pretty warm

If they are keeping the nest box warm they will probably be OK, but if they get separated they may struggle. I would check on them frequently, if it were my litter.

Speaking of, donut just had her second litter. Ya'll might remember that she had 9 last time. That was a good litter size.

This time she had 11!!!! :O

Back
Top Bottom