The Bunny Chat Thread - For Bunny Owners

Pics
Hello rabbit peoples! Two of my friends have rabbits and they are adorable. I don't think that I'll be getting one any time soon, but have some questions anyway because I like to plan ahead:
-How much space do rabbits need?
-What are the basic requirements for in their space?
- Is it recommended to have them indoors or outdoors? What kind of maintenance do they need?
-If I'm not interested in breeding them, what type would I get?
-Are you able to have a rabbit if you also have a cat?
I don't need answers to these, but if people don't mind it would be super helpful! Otherwise I won't intrude on your wonderful rabbit thread. Thank you!
Rabbits need enough space to stand on their hind legs.
They need hay and water.
It's RECOMMENDED to keep them inside, but pretty much everyone on this thread keeps them outdoors. You'll need to brush them, clip their nails, and clean their litter box.
If you don't need a breeding rabbit, any rabbit will do, if you get them fixed. Or adopt one from a shelter.
You can have a rabbit and cat, just depends on bunny and cat.

Rabbits need enough space to stand on their hind legs.
They need hay and water.
It's RECOMMENDED to keep them inside, but pretty much everyone on this thread keeps them outdoors. You'll need to brush them, clip their nails, and clean their litter box.
If you don't need a breeding rabbit, any rabbit will do, if you get them fixed. Or adopt one from a shelter.
You can have a rabbit and cat, just depends on bunny and cat.
Ok, thank you! You say that they need enough space to stand on their hind legs-how much flat space do they need? Is there a guideline, like 5 square feet in the coop for chickens, or should you just eyeball it? This is super helpful, thank you!

Ok, thank you! You say that they need enough space to stand on their hind legs-how much flat space do they need? Is there a guideline, like 5 square feet in the coop for chickens, or should you just eyeball it? This is super helpful, thank you!
I think it's supposed to be 8 square feet per bunny, but not sure about that.

Hello rabbit peoples! Two of my friends have rabbits and they are adorable. I don't think that I'll be getting one any time soon, but have some questions anyway because I like to plan ahead:
-How much space do rabbits need?
-What are the basic requirements for in their space?
- Is it recommended to have them indoors or outdoors? What kind of maintenance do they need?
-If I'm not interested in breeding them, what type would I get?
-Are you able to have a rabbit if you also have a cat?
I don't need answers to these, but if people don't mind it would be super helpful! Otherwise I won't intrude on your wonderful rabbit thread. Thank you!
-Rabbits need enough space to race back and forth and to stand on their back feet to look around, but I don't know the exact amount.
- "One guideline to go by is at least 8 square feet of enclosure space combined with at least at least 24 square feet of exercise space, the cage should be at least five times his size when stretched out." (https://smallpetselect.com/how-much...cording to the House,five times his size when )
-I prefer to keep them indoors, but there are also people who prefer to keep them outside. It all depends on the environment outside. Basic daily maintenance is hay, pellets, some greens, fresh water. They should be brushed about once a week or so.
- Any breed can be kept as pet and not for breeding. I personally like Dutch/Hollander/Brabander (these are all about the same) and mixes.
-Yes, you can have rabbits if you have cats

-Rabbits need enough space to race back and forth and to stand on their back feet to look around, but I don't know the exact amount.
- "One guideline to go by is at least 8 square feet of enclosure space combined with at least at least 24 square feet of exercise space, the cage should be at least five times his size when stretched out." (https://smallpetselect.com/how-much-space-does-a-rabbit-need/#:~:text=According to the House,five times his size when )
-I prefer to keep them indoors, but there are also people who prefer to keep them outside. It all depends on the environment outside. Basic daily maintenance is hay, pellets, some greens, fresh water. They should be brushed about once a week or so.
- Any breed can be kept as pet and not for breeding. I personally like Dutch/Hollander/Brabander (these are all about the same) and mixes.
-Yes, you can have rabbits if you have cats
Thank you, you and @Three Little Bunnies have been so helpful with this! After knowing this I think that it could be a fun idea to get a rabbit in the future.

About a year ago, I made a spontaneous purchase of an 11week old mini Rex while visiting the local flea market. (This market sells pretty much anything and has pavilions specifically for small livestock mostly roosters). Through the suave of the breeder and my insistent begging, my mother agreeed. Mwahahaha. This breeder made some mistakes and left all the bucks together. My Snicklefritz only has notched ears and a missing toe. He’s super sweet though. And he’s so pretty. He’s like a tricolor that’s mostly white with brown patches with almost leopard print. He’s deathly terrified of chicks and ducklings as we learned when we put him in the large chick enclosure we had built. He looked around for two seconds before hopping out. But he’s perfectly okay with my dogs and my cousins cats (and most of them want to eat him). He loves red grapes. LOVES them. I love Snickles. Personally I think that’s the best 15 dollars I’ve spent so far.

Back
Top Bottom