The Bunny Chat Thread - For Bunny Owners

Pics
Thank you! I definitely will check out that channel. My main concern about free roaming at all was the pooping, I don't mind bunny proofing. I'm thinking that it would be a when I'm home, I could free roam, and when I'm not home I'd put him/her back in the hutch. (It's called a hutch, right?) Thank you for all the specifics on this! This has been so helpful!
For inside it's just a cage. Instead of using a cage I would get an exercise pen so he/she can move around more. If I get a rabbit I'll probably set up a playpen anyways just for an area to put the litter box, bed, food and water ect. Once you've had him/her for a while you could probably free roam when your gone to. It just takes a bit of trial and error, and figuring what works best for your rabbit.
Here's a great video on bunny proofing

For inside it's just a cage. Instead of using a cage I would get an exercise pen so he/she can move around more. If I get a rabbit I'll probably set up a playpen anyways just for an area to put the litter box, bed, food and water ect. Once you've had him/her for a while you could probably free roam when your gone to. It just takes a bit of trial and error, and figuring what works best for your rabbit.
Here's a great video on bunny proofing

Thank you so much! You have been an amazing help. I'll stop asking all my pesky questions so that you bunny people can enjoy your thread. Thank you to everyone here for being so helpful!

You can continue to ask questions! That’s what the thread is for
Ok! I just don't want to be too pushy or annoying, or interrupt anything that's going on. My last two questions (for right now, at least) are a) does having a hutch/enclosure for when they need to be confined have the same principal as chicken coops, with prefabs being over expensive, small, and cheaply made, and building a hutch/enclosure will give you better quality and more for your money?
and b) if you have both rabbits fixed, will your bunny be happier with a friend? If so, does it generally work better to have one of the same or opposite gender? These are my last questions for now, but I'm sure I'll think of more. If I get too pushy or annoying, please don't hesitate to tell me to buzz off. Thank you everyone for being so helpful!

Pictures are eagerly awaited! My chickens are terrified of the bunnies, but the bunnies don't care a bit about the chickens. Eeyore actually likes them!
5FA0A535-3197-4FCB-ABD3-A817F2E45614.jpeg

Day 1
image.jpg

He’s darkened up since we first got him. And he sheds....EVERYWHERE lol

Ok! I just don't want to be too pushy or annoying, or interrupt anything that's going on. My last two questions (for right now, at least) are a) does having a hutch/enclosure for when they need to be confined have the same principal as chicken coops, with prefabs being over expensive, small, and cheaply made, and building a hutch/enclosure will give you better quality and more for your money?
and b) if you have both rabbits fixed, will your bunny be happier with a friend? If so, does it generally work better to have one of the same or opposite gender? These are my last questions for now, but I'm sure I'll think of more. If I get too pushy or annoying, please don't hesitate to tell me to buzz off. Thank you everyone for being so helpful!
Hutches are often too small, expensive, and can take up a lot of time to build. For a playpen about 8 feet long with tall side to they can't jump out is good. Double the size per rabbit. If you can't always give your rabbit the time they need getting another rabbit is great! Be sure to have them fixed of course, but I would either get a male and female or two females. If you decide to get two at once I would get a bonded pair no matter the genders.
Please feel free to ask as many questions as needed!
Once I post my article you can ask there too!

I think building your own gives you more and the prefabs are built poorly plus are quite small.

If you fix them they can be together. Sometimes when you adopt they’ll have them with others.Find one that already has a buddy and adopt them both.

I have two females and they get along great. I guess females will fight, it all depends on the bunnies. I have two siblings that have been together since they were born.

Hutches are often too small, expensive, and can take up a lot of time to build. For a playpen about 8 feet long with tall side to they can't jump out is good. Double the size per rabbit. If you can't always give your rabbit the time they need getting another rabbit is great! Be sure to have them fixed of course, but I would either get a male and female or two females. If you decide to get two at once I would get a bonded pair no matter the genders.
Please feel free to ask as many questions as needed!
Once I post my article you can ask there too!
Thank you! By saying 'hutch' I think that I may be causing confusion. I mean a place with the equivalent to the coop part of a chicken coop, a large part that would be equivalent to the run in a chicken coop, and their food, water, and litter box inside. I'd put them back in this when I'm not free roaming, then leave the door open as an option when I am. I'm thinking of this in a mindset similar to how chickens work-coop part, run part, free ranging-should I change that? Would having another rabbit around actually make them happier, like how quail or chickens you need more than one? or would it just add another rabbit?

Thank you! By saying 'hutch' I think that I may be causing confusion. I mean a place with the equivalent to the coop part of a chicken coop, a large part that would be equivalent to the run in a chicken coop, and their food, water, and litter box inside. I'd put them back in this when I'm not free roaming, then leave the door open as an option when I am. I'm thinking of this in a mindset similar to how chickens work-coop part, run part, free ranging-should I change that? Would having another rabbit around actually make them happier, like how quail or chickens you need more than one? or would it just add another rabbit?
Ah, I gotcha. I'm not really sure how big in terms of feet you know but something like this would work for one or two when not free-roaming. If you have an extra bedroom, or some sort a space, even if you have to move things around, it would be perfect.
1594688723930.png

Here's some other ideas. You may have to make some of these bigger for two rabbits
1594688829362.png
1594688998567.png

Here are some pictures for full free roaming setups
1594689213694.png
1594689228492.png
1594689242595.png

You don't really need two for them to be happy but it really helps if you can't always give one attention.

Attachments

• 1594689200382.png
    1594689200382.png
    130.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom