The Bunny Chat Thread - For Bunny Owners

Pics
Ok! I just don't want to be too pushy or annoying, or interrupt anything that's going on. My last two questions (for right now, at least) are a) does having a hutch/enclosure for when they need to be confined have the same principal as chicken coops, with prefabs being over expensive, small, and cheaply made, and building a hutch/enclosure will give you better quality and more for your money?
and b) if you have both rabbits fixed, will your bunny be happier with a friend? If so, does it generally work better to have one of the same or opposite gender? These are my last questions for now, but I'm sure I'll think of more. If I get too pushy or annoying, please don't hesitate to tell me to buzz off. Thank you everyone for being so helpful!
A prefab hutch or cage is too small for even one rabbit in my opinion. I have 2 rabbits in a 4'x8' pen and they get time out of it every day; I plan to add a second story in the future to part of it for more space. X pens, basically a wire playpen, are easy to set up and expandable if you can't create a sufficient space all at once, but if you have dogs you might want something a bit tougher. tThe little prefab huts aren't too bad to put in the pen, at least ours has been fine so far and both bunnies use it. They're just as happy with a cardboard box that has doors cut in it though. Ideally the rabbit should be able to hop 4 times across the pen from what I remember.

Rabbits are social animals so yes, it's better to have a friend.

A prefab hutch or cage is too small for even one rabbit in my opinion. I have 2 rabbits in a 4'x8' pen and they get time out of it every day; I plan to add a second story in the future to part of it for more space. X pens, basically a wire playpen, are easy to set up and expandable if you can't create a sufficient space all at once, but if you have dogs you might want something a bit tougher. tThe little prefab huts aren't too bad to put in the pen, at least ours has been fine so far and both bunnies use it. They're just as happy with a cardboard box that has doors cut in it though. Ideally the rabbit should be able to hop 4 times across the pen from what I remember.

Rabbits are social animals so yes, it's better to have a friend.
Thank you! I would probably build something similar to what you have going on, I would want it to be sturdy because at the time I may or may not have a cat or dog, or both. Thank you for the answer about if it's better to have more than one bunny, I will definitely try to get more than one!

They can be litter trained quite easily. You can train them just like any other animal.

If you do let it roam in your house you need to buy wire protector and basically bunny proof your whole house. They can be quite destructive inside a home. Like eating door molding or trim. They can ruin carpeting and flooring.
I've read that some get into the box springs of beds and tear them up, or the sofa or a chair.

Can you show us a picture of your bunny pleaseeee?

I thought I had posted him here but it was in another thread. Here he is “grooming” my blankie today. Technically he’s my daughter’s but he’s always so excited to see me, whoops.

6882B2EB-85B4-46FB-82EB-6EFCDFFD6696.jpeg

I think that I've given up all resolve that I had to NOT live on a farm in the future-I changed my mind. I want a farm. I've also added sheep to the animals-I-want list, and possibly goats. And maybe horses. And maybe cows. Maybe I should just get all the animals.

Oh don’t get me wrong. I absolutely want more land. And sheep. And pigs. And a mini jersey 😂

I thought I had posted him here but it was in another thread. Here he is “grooming” my blankie today. Technically he’s my daughter’s but he’s always so excited to see me, whoops.

View attachment 2242479

Oh don’t get me wrong. I absolutely want more land. And sheep. And pigs. And a mini jersey 😂
Aww so cute! And the doggo!

About having a rabbit tractor, they can dig out of them. I used welded wire fence on the bottom of a rabbit tractor once to prevent digging escapes. You can keep them in a tiny cage, There is some minimum requirement according to some animal welfare organization. I believe their requirements are too small for pet rabbits and very friendly towards the meat rabbit industry. Nothing against that because we all need to eat. In my opinion rabbits need enough room to hop around a bit without having to turn around after one hop. Now if you only have a small cage it still works but I would suggest getting a rabbit harness and rabbit leash and take the rabbit(s) out for a walk frequently.

Back
Top Bottom