The Bunny Chat Thread - For Bunny Owners

Pics
Also, it said 75% of their diet is pellets. What the heck.

I think the real trick there is to remember it's for stupid people. This is 75% of their diet that isn't the free choice hay they also suggest using. This is basically listed this way to stop people from feeding their pet rabbits buckets of treats.

🤔It's also worth noting that lots of people feed pellet only diets, especially in meat rabbits. I won't say it's good for their long term health but it doesn't cause any sudden deaths.
When I had my lops all those years back the vet I was seeing (who was admittedly a BIT of a dingus) told me to feed timothy-based pellets and hay free choice (same instructions listed on the care sheet). Something high in fiber and low in protein like the fiber 3, the oxbow, or the kaytee forti-diet could easily be good for rabbit longevity. Even the House Rabbit Society suggests feeding timothy pellets at the same rate listed in the petsmart sheet.
https://rabbit.org/faq-diet/
This vet article suggests a similar, but lesser amount;
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/feeding-your-rabbit
Vet tech article suggesting a diet that a high quality complete pellet could provide without hay;
https://www.vetfolio.com/learn/article/nutrition-know-how-pet-rabbit-nutrition

There's really no room for nuance in those care sheets like "Your rabbit doesn't need pellets if you give them all these other things". They have to get the info out and into the customers brain quickly.

Last edited:
Yes, but that's one of those "limited quantity" items. It can cause gas and has some weird properties when fed in large quantities. So just go light on how much you give and don't feed it with other gas-heavy snacks.

I learned that Pet Smart is only interested in selling us stuff and getting us to go to them as often as possible. I also found Vets are the same way, Not all vets are bad I found the ones that specialize in live stock but still see pets tend to do a great job. The Pet Industry is all about separating animal lovers from their dollars.

When I first got cats the vet at the Dog and Cat animal hospital told me that I HAD to get my cat declawed, as if it was a requirement. She also told me that cats can not go outside (which defeats the purpose of having a cat in my opinion) its too dangerous for them. Took me a while to figure out why she was so crazy... because indoor cat owners are more likely to spend money on unnecessary procedures than outdoor cat owners.
And all the toys and such to keep them entertained because they're bored and get into trouble.

I have Pellets from a feed mill direct (very cheap), I have a hay rack so they can get hay. I forgot what kind of hay it was. I let them choose between the 2 options. I give them fresh greens from the yard daily... while supplies last. in winter it will be just Hay and Pellets but I will have a greenhouse so I might make fodder cakes for them.

I learned that Pet Smart is only interested in selling us stuff and getting us to go to them as often as possible. I also found Vets are the same way, Not all vets are bad I found the ones that specialize in live stock but still see pets tend to do a great job. The Pet Industry is all about separating animal lovers from their dollars.

When I first got cats the vet at the Dog and Cat animal hospital told me that I HAD to get my cat declawed, as if it was a requirement. She also told me that cats can not go outside (which defeats the purpose of having a cat in my opinion) its too dangerous for them. Took me a while to figure out why she was so crazy... because indoor cat owners are more likely to spend money on unnecessary procedures than outdoor cat owners.
Personally I think that vet was just an idiot or something because no reputable vet would ever recommend declawing as it’s a cruel and painful procedure. In fact, most refuse to even do it. That said though, most cat people I’ve seen and rescues, vets, etc. are extremely adamant about the indoor only thing.

And I mean I can see it to a point cause there’s diseases, cars, predators, poison, whatever, outside but I hate how they act like you’re cruel or a bad owner if you do it.

Our last cat was indoor/outdoor and our current one is mostly indoor now but she does go outside from time to time and used to a lot more when she was younger. She doesn’t really like being out long now. But our property is extremely safe and she mostly just hangs on the deck. I wouldn’t let them loose in a city or something. But I don’t think there’s anything wrong with having a strictly indoor cat as long as you provide it with enough enrichment and play and stuff.

I will probably eventually have both indoor only and barn cats when I get the room. Or actually I think I might do only barn cats in the future as I hate litter boxes haha I realize I would probably still need one but still.

They do try to get you to spend money though. As much as I like mine, they keep wanting me to do like a $400 blood test 😂🤣 granted it’s the full panel with like every organ, urinalysis, etc. but still... that’s insane lol

I won’t let my cat out. He’s not declawed and is a great cat. Never scratches my stuff

Back
Top Bottom