The Bunny Chat Thread - For Bunny Owners

Hi everyone! I am relatively new to the rabbit world so I thought I would join a bunny thread :D

This is Niven. We rescued her from a stray cat when she was just a little one. That was three months ago and she is now a beloved and spoiled member of our household. We think she is a Californian, or at least a Californian mix. Her marking are continuing to darken as she gets older.

I saw that there are several folks on the thread that have meat rabbits. Niven is an indoor pet, but I would love to hear any advice about dealing with meat breeds. Is there any special dietary or other needs specific to heavy/ meat bunnies? TIA

Pics as payment for joining :p

36EEE830-1D24-47D4-9EDD-8CA391346B72.jpeg
CAB313B9-6705-489F-BB2E-A081DF08300B.jpeg
C715F5E6-68C8-4747-ADEF-C550CA3F5305.jpeg
EECC0445-71BE-4C1A-AEAA-25F87EBC2C41.jpeg
9F80014C-EEFF-40CC-A574-48F3DC24F20D.jpeg

83F6786E-C61F-4F1C-B7EE-B9BBFDEBB419.jpeg

B960373C-85F3-4EC0-903D-17E9D144F1CE.jpeg

CB75A5CA-3845-4D87-BA92-1DB47FBBF494.jpeg

Nope! Meat bunnies are remarkably robust.
All large breed rabbits need secure footing and should be on clean solid floors, not mesh cage floors.
All rabbits but especially pets should have attention paid to their teeth and weight. This can be done by feeding a specific diet like a hay/veggie focused diet or making sure their environment matches their diet. Rabbits have trouble losing fat weight and tend to lose muscle first so not getting fat in the first place is better. Calorie needs will vary a lot by environment. Looks like they're an indoor rabbit with a lot of space so that's gonna be a moderate to low calorie need (13%-15% protein if you feed pellets especially would be my suggestion).

Otherwise rabbit care is fairly universal. They need food, water, some love, toys, chew sticks, a clean environment. That's about it.

Nope! Meat bunnies are remarkably robust.
All large breed rabbits need secure footing and should be on clean solid floors, not mesh cage floors.
All rabbits but especially pets should have attention paid to their teeth and weight. This can be done by feeding a specific diet like a hay/veggie focused diet or making sure their environment matches their diet. Rabbits have trouble losing fat weight and tend to lose muscle first so not getting fat in the first place is better. Calorie needs will vary a lot by environment. Looks like they're an indoor rabbit with a lot of space so that's gonna be a moderate to low calorie need (13%-15% protein if you feed pellets especially would be my suggestion).
Thank you! This is very helpful. She is currently eating a “young rabbit” pellet formula that is 17% protein. At what age do folks usually switch to adult/ lower protein feed?

ETA: She does also get plenty of hay and vegetables.

Thank you! This is very helpful. She is currently eating a “young rabbit” pellet formula that is 17% protein. At what age do folks usually switch to adult/ lower protein feed?

ETA: She does also get plenty of hay and vegetables.

I would switch at 8mo. But that's mostly just a guesstimate of majority growth. Mine eat hay and 18% their whole lives, but mine are meant to be food and breeders, so....

Hi ya'll! I have 2 New Zealands. Our female is 4 months and our male is 7 months. Right now they are both in individual 30 x 36 cages. Since it is winter and cold here we have not tackled building them a "run" to hang out in the grass. Our large garden has a rabbit proof fence, but is only 28" tall. Do you think this is tall enough? I would feel horrible if they jumped the fence and we couldn't catch them, but at the same time I don't want them stuck in their cages 24/7. Thanks!
I would be more concerned that they might dig out. And you aren’t planning to put them in the run together are you????? The female should never be with the male except to take her to him to breed after 6 months. She should only be with him then long enough for breeding to occur twice. Any longer and you run the risk of her castrating him.

I would be more concerned that they might dig out. And you aren’t planning to put them in the run together are you????? The female should never be with the male except to take her to him to breed after 6 months. She should only be with him then long enough for breeding to occur twice. Any longer and you run the risk of her castrating him.
No they will not be in together :)

I feed manapro gro 18% but it really depends on your goals. Since you have a pet I'd just look for a low protein/high fiber pellet and go from there. Purina Fibre3 is good if you need something inexpensive. I had my rabbits on Kaytee Fortidiet+ Timothy pellets when I had pet rabbits but that was too low calorie for them because they had a lot of space and not as many high calorie snacks. Oxbow is a fine brand but they have different qualities of feed. Just definately don't pick a high calorie farm rabbit diet (16%+) or one with lots of seeds and colored cereal bits.

If you care to crunch the numbers yourself you can even go pellet free. Lots of people feed hay and veggie based with a low calcium mineral lick instead.

What brand of pellets do you folks prefer? I am currently using Oxbow but I am interested in hearing people’s opinions.
Oxbow is brand we give the guinea pigs. supposedly it’s one of the best “premium” pet foods according to DS research. The rabbits get country roads because i can get it in 50# bags.

So I found a person with a mini lop rabbit in a reasonable price I want to buy it but I havent found out the cause of bugs death. Wht do u guys think shall I buy him or wait? I am trying to find the cause. I think he died of heart attack cuz I think there was a thunder storm that night I don't remember very well.

Back
Top Bottom