The Bunny Chat Thread - For Bunny Owners

I sure hope a rabbit won't just destroy the house <.<.. I've always wanted one, and I feel like getting one before I get dogs and cats will be helpful, so make sure the cats and dogs are raised around a rabbit. So a rabbit will be my first pet as an adult. I hope him/her doesn't put me through hell.
Keep him/her mentally and physically stimulated and s/he'll have less interest in tearing up your carpets, chewing baseboards, or eating cords.
Having good quality hay will also help keep his/her teeth down.

But if course it's alway better to be safe than sorry.
You'll find what s/hr is most prone to chewing after you've had him/her for a while. Every bunny is different.
But to start with, cover all your wires with cord protectors and keep where s/he can not get to.
NIC grids work great for that. You can also use them to keep him/her from chewing baseboards or getting under furniture.

If s/he digs or chews carpet you could put a ceramic tile on it.
They will chew rugs too. Lennon the Bunny has a whole video on choosing bunny safe rugs.

If s/he chews baseboards you can get wore shelving panels to put by the baseboard. A lot longer than NIC grids if you need it for a big room.

Worse case scenario you could use bitter apple spray to keep him/her from chewing stuff.

Are there regular sized lops? I don't like the mini breeds, I want something 5-7 pounds.
There are many different lop breeds.
French lops are 10 - 15 lbs. They have shorter ears than the English lops. English lops are aroun 12 pounds. About 5 lbs of ears!

They mixed the english and french lop to get the mini lop which is around 5 - 7 lbs.

Then they mixed those with the Netherland Dwarf (smallest breed of rabbit) and got the Holland Lop, the second smallest breed. Holland lips don't get bigger than 4 lbs.

All of these are recognized as their own breed.
I think mini lops are the best beginner rabbit.

There are many different lop breeds.
French lops are 10 - 15 lbs. They have shorter ears than the English lops. English lops are aroun 12 pounds. About 5 lbs of ears!

They mixed the english and french lop to get the mini lop which is around 5 - 7 lbs.

Then they mixed those with the Netherland Dwarf (smallest breed of rabbit) and got the Holland Lop, the second smallest breed. Holland lips don't get bigger than 4 lbs.

All of these are recognized as their own breed.
I think mini lops are the best beginner rabbit.

Why are they the best?

French lops look lovely.

Oh, how cool someone else is interested in a Harlequin! I own one myself, @DLHOCNT, and she is somewhat shy but a big sweetie. I actually recently did some research, and I've heard Harlequins are known to be quiet and sweet rabbits. They are on the bigger side, between 6-9 pounds I believe. Mine may be a mix, I rescued her so I really have no idea but she weighs around 5.5 lbs. I really love my Pumpkin and I definitely want to look into getting more Harlequins whenever/if ever I get more rabbits. :)

I'm glad you've been getting great help and I hope you have good success with your future bun! They are super fun and even though they may require some work, lol, they are worth it. You'll have to share lots of pictures. :)

Do they in general like cardboard?

I've been looking at big cardboard castles and tunnels. What else do they seem to favor? I know it varies between rabbit to rabbit, but I've gotta start out with a good base of enrichment

do you switch out toys? hiding some and then re-introducing? That's what I do with my dog, He acts like he's never seen the toy before even though he's played with it times before, I just took it and hid it.
To keep my rabbit busy I like to give her a cardboad box from aldi and she can use it as a hidehouse she loves to hop on top of it and chew it Once she is done with it I just replace it with a new one it just helps keep things interesting for her. Another thing I like to do is get a hard plastic dog ball with holes and stuff it with greens

Back
Top Bottom