The Bunny Chat Thread - For Bunny Owners

I'm getting my 2nd rabbit (I posted pictures above) on Saturday. I'm gonna use the same cage which I used for bugz until he is litter trained. The owner has been feedinh him something he made out of different type of flours. He gave me the recipe of his feed and mostly all of the items in it are meant to be fed in moderation. It contains barley corn wheat Indian millet rice and sun flower seeds. I cant find any pellets here for him and the ones available have higher protein level than fibre. Do u think I can feed him this mix? Also i couldn't find any vet in my area which sees rabbits and most of them don't even neuter dogs and cats. Is there any way to control the spraying. I don't mind the droppings.

I'm getting my 2nd rabbit (I posted pictures above) on Saturday. I'm gonna use the same cage which I used for bugz until he is litter trained. The owner has been feedinh him something he made out of different type of flours. He gave me the recipe of his feed and mostly all of the items in it are meant to be fed in moderation. It contains barley corn wheat Indian millet rice and sun flower seeds. I cant find any pellets here for him and the ones available have higher protein level than fibre. Do u think I can feed him this mix? Also i couldn't find any vet in my area which sees rabbits and most of them don't even neuter dogs and cats. Is there any way to control the spraying. I don't mind the droppings.
I don’t really have any answers for you. But I was curious if you would be able to feed hay along with whatever grain/pellet you will be feeding?

61A94F87-20E3-4DAA-87C8-BC55B2147F0C.jpeg
I’ve got one Vienna marked kit. I was looking through everyone’s papers and noticed the mom is VM too. It’s so faint that I don’t even see it on her. But I’m trying to decide what I’d like to focus on. The blue eyed white is intriguing.
I personally love the castors and opals. And the otters as well. I’m so glad we got these rabbits. This is loads of fun!
I’ve also got my most recent littler from the broken blue x chinchilla. So cute.
I feel like 17 healthy babies from 4 does is really good. It’s twice as much as I had expected.

4B612A88-AC04-4639-8BD9-9B44C49BF8A3.jpeg

Hi! I was thinking of getting rabbits for breeding purposes. I did all of my research on breeding, feeding and housing them. It seems like hay is a very important part of their diet and they need it to survive. In the area I live I can't find any hay nearby. Is there any common substitute for hay? Or can you make your own hay? Or can they live on silage, fodder or straw or mixture of these because these 3 things are what people normally feed their cows and horses in my village and I can get them quite easily.

I got the rabbit on Sunday. He looks like a mini satin rabbit. The only problem with him rn is that he isn't eating his grass and seems to be eating everything else just fine. I make sure it's not soiled and it's fresh. Any way to get him to eat his grass?
@EverythingDucks do u know anything about this?
Congrats! Sorry I couldn't respond yesterday, I must have missed the notification.

Have you tried limiting his treats and pellets more?

Sometimes mixing his hay around a bit so that he gets new peices and it smells different helps. Sprinkling some herbs to make it smell yummy will help as well.

Congrats! Sorry I couldn't respond yesterday, I must have missed the notification.

Have you tried limiting his treats and pellets more?

Sometimes mixing his hay around a bit so that he gets new peices and it smells different helps. Sprinkling some herbs to make it smell yummy will help as well.
No problem. Yea I did limit it. I gave him just grass cuz of the excessive cecetropes. He basically isn't eating anything except the feed his previous owner gave to me and treats. I tried adding stuff in it but he just picks it out and leaves the rest. The feed the owner gave to me is meant for chickens. U can search it up too its known as 14 number feed. Most of the breeders here use this.

Ive heard it thrown around a lot while reading this week, and I know I'll be limited to what's at the feedstore, but I'm curious!

Do you feed an all included feed? I hear some include alfalfa so hay isn't fed?

And I hear 14, 16 and 18% protein. I imagine higher for breeding and lactating does? Is there one you can buy and feed 24/7 as long as you don't overbreed the does and let them come back to proper condition? (We're only two people now, not much to feed if I do start raising and butchering)

Hi! I was thinking of getting rabbits for breeding purposes. I did all of my research on breeding, feeding and housing them. It seems like hay is a very important part of their diet and they need it to survive. In the area I live I can't find any hay nearby. Is there any common substitute for hay? Or can you make your own hay? Or can they live on silage, fodder or straw or mixture of these because these 3 things are what people normally feed their cows and horses in my village and I can get them quite easily.
Fodder and hay are the same thing as far as I know. They are both cut dried grasses. Generally a mix of grasses it good. So it might say something like Prairie grasses, or native fodder. Other times it might have a particular grass listed, like Bermuda, or Timothy. If you can grow dark greens like spinach and kale, they can have those.
They can not go from a diet of all dried grasses to all fresh. You need to make diet changes slowly. But I give mine hay all the time, some pellets, and a small amount of fresh dark greens from my garden regularly.

Straw has had the nutritional stuff taken from it. They will eat on it, but it’s not actually feeding them. And I don’t think rabbits can have anything fermented, so silage is a no. I don’t know much about it, but if they are feeding straw and silage to cattle, the straw is just for fiber, the the silage had all the nutritional value.

Back
Top Bottom