The Butterfly Effect Hobby Farm

Pics

Chickenaddition

Songster
Jan 23, 2019
Wendell, NC (Work in Raleigh NC)
This is a thread dedicated to our progress on our property as we slowly renovate a 1935 home and transform the property into our dream hobby farm. I hope people follow along as they see our successes and our follies.

A quick background to where we started. My SO and I rekindled our search for a home at the start of 2018. After a series of frustrating searches in Raleigh a former employee who called me to see how I was doing and when I told her that we were searching for a house with a decent amount of property, she mentioned to check out Wendell. (hence the start of the Butterfly effect) I am so thankful that she called and mentioned this. We then began to search this area and eventually landed this property. We both turned 50 in 2018 and are so thankful to start our dream hobby farm. It is going to take a huge amount off sweat equity and a decent amount of money to get it to the shape we desire.

This property is 2.33 acres and there is a fairly unique situation on it. The main house was originally built in 1935 and there was an update on it in 1960. The good news is that the house also has a manufactured home about 70 feet away from the main house. Our real estate lawyer told us we were very lucky as this was grandfathered in. You are generally not allowed to have two homes on one property. So currently we are living in the manufactured home while we renovate the main home. This allows us to work at our own pace (both physically and monetarily). Each project that we need to do we figure out the way we want to do it and then what we can’t do ourselves we can then save or prepare to pay to get it done the way we want. I am so very thankful as it saves us a great deal of headache and heartache that is typically associated with renovations.

We moved in and headed into working on the house as we were very curious as to what was behind the walls and what good and bad things were hidden. I will show what we discovered later in the thread as it’s both exciting and daunting.

During the summer after we had been on the property for a few months, I realized that no one had done any tree management on the property in quite some time. So with a hand saw (yes… a hand saw) I went about to start cleaning up some issues. I don’t know if I have many pictures of the early days, but I will find what I have. On the property was a 40’ burn circle that apparently the previous owner had “cleaned up” the yard and the only evidence was this 40’ diameter burn circle. I decided to carry all the trees I hand fell to this circle and would repeat the burning. As I worked the pile quickly grew in size and I honestly got carried away (you will hear this as a reoccurring theme on my weekends). I realized the burn circle’s proximity to a line of trees and the huge pile of pine trees was not a good combination and so things stalled for the rest of the year on my cutting of trees (not to mention hand cutting trees is fairly taxing… if only they made a device that would cut trees… maybe someday someone would solve this dilemma).
20180426_184531.jpg

Here is an early picture of the tree pile. It gradually got bigger until I stalled. To give scale it was easily 30'+ in diameter and eventually got to be around 6'+ high.

I am fairly terrible at documenting so I am hoping this format helps me keep up. Hopefully people asking questions or commenting will also help in the process :idunno.

More coming.

The grapevine even in it's neglected situation wound up giving us a bunch of grapes. It wound up being a Concord grape (seeded) which we were able to produce a bunch of grape jelly which we gave out to friends and family and also several pitchers of grape juice which we enjoyed that fall. This was when it first started leafing out. It really went gang busters after the trees went down and allowed it to get a decent amount of light. We plan on adding more grapes down the road but if we trellis them they would have to go north/south which would put them right in front of the 16'x16' shed. :he:barnie

20180426_184559.jpg

Agree on the trees in straight lines... if they were fruit trees at least it would make some sense for harvesting, but cedars? And it’s not like a hedge at the property line even!

This is what bothered me about the cedars. They were planted way to close. Cedars can grow huge! We have two huge cedars on the property (and in fact several mid sized in the front yard too). They also unfortunately did this with pine trees. Planted way to close to each other and wayyyyyy too close to the house. Not sure what the plan was but. 22 of the 30 huge pines are going to be removed in the next couple of weeks. It will open up a huge chunk of the back yard for raised beds.

20190125_080958.jpg

Following!

If I remember correctly (not always a sure thing :rolleyes: ) you & I have talked about your trees in the not so distant past.

I love reading this stuff...my husband and I did so much of the same thing when we lived in FL and we both really enjoyed it. Job change required us to move so now I get to live vicariously through homesteaders like you!

Keep up the good work! :pop

Following!

If I remember correctly (not always a sure thing :rolleyes: ) you & I have talked about your trees in the not so distant past.

I love reading this stuff...my husband and I did so much of the same thing when we lived in FL and we both really enjoyed it. Job change required us to move so now I get to live vicariously through homesteaders like you!

Keep up the good work! :pop

N F C thank you for following and if you have any words of advice I will always love to hear it. I am truly re-invigorated by this. 10 years ago I felt like my dreams of having a small farm were crushed and I had honestly given up on having that dream occur. Every day here bad or good has been a blessing. I am sorry you had to move away from where you had built your spot. How is Wyoming?

Following! I'm from eastern NC and you are basically living my dream.

I too hate trees in rows like that, especially evergreens. Your property is going to be so much more functional and beautiful without them!

Glad to see a fellow NC chicken fanatic! Thank you for following. I am looking forward to spring. Right now there isn't a weekend in sight that I see open for resting. Thankfully the weekends have been rain free for the past few. Once the trees are down and gone, I will be busy building raised beds. The soil around here is pretty much pure clay, but the other reason Voles. Our neighbors warned us and we tested it and found out... yep little varmits are everywhere and love our garden. So I will be putting hardware cloth at the bottoms of our raised beds to prevent them from destroying our veggies.

So this weekend I would call: "His eyes were bigger than his stomach." I woke up saturday excited about a clear weather weekend and thinking about how much I could get done. In my bravado I cut 11 pines from the stand that I am focusing on to "get right". I also cut down 1 of a 2 trunks of a pecan tree that is growing in a bad spot. Then I went to tackle one of the two remaining Cedar trees in the line. This Cedar was the 2nd largest of the group and was a bear to get down. It was around 13" -14" and my chainsaw is only 12". So it took some work and also a decent amount of hatchet work to get it down. Many of the pines were being held up by their supporting cast so it took a variety of efforts to bring all the trees down. By 3:30 I was pretty exhausted. My SO was working hard on replacing the skirting around the manufactured house. It over the years had gotten fairly beaten up and had holes from either rocks thrown by lawnmowers or any myriad of issues. I told her that I might have bitten off more than I could chew this weekend. The yard looked like a train wreck. I told her i was probably going to call it a day and try to finish up on Sunday. However I looked back and said, "Let's see how much I can still get done." I wound up carving up the pine trees and the pecan tree and getting them stacked before my body said no more.
The yard still looked a mess as the branches were everywhere and the downed Cedar was still an eyesore with it's branches everywhere. I dread cleaning up Cedars because it seems like it has a thousand branches and the branches have branches. So the Cedar would have to wait for another day.

Here's a shot of the pile of lumber waiting for the tree people. I am hoping to have them shred the lumber for chips for the garden.

20190127_152337.jpg

Back
Top Bottom