The Case of the Mysteriously Vanishing Eggs...

Snakes are okay when I have been properly introduced to them and know their names. The rouge ones who come into my yard uninvited to feast on my fowl, not so much! I have peacocks now who are supposed to keep them away for me.

Hi, do you have a coop that you keep them in? or do you have a shed/barn where you keep them... I have a stable where I keep mine and I always take down a torch to check for eggs becasue sometimes they lay up on the bales and bury their eggs
tongue.png
So maybe she's just been hiding/burring her eggs ???
hu.gif

Thanks for replying everyone! To clear up a few things: Fiona and my three other chickens roam in the back yard, which is not overly big (nor overly small). They have a small hen house/coop with a couple of separate nesting boxes. There is not room enough for eggs to go missing or for sneaky snakes to be hiding. Besides, I live in Australia, the snakes here would go for the main course (the chickens!) I think, not for the eggs. None of the other chickens' eggs go missing, that's what makes it all so mysterious. I have also checked under bushes etc., but there are no secret stashes hidden anywhere. Yet Fiona's eggs continue to vanish. Until aboout a week or two ago she was a great layer, but something happened. The mystery continues...
idunno.gif

Sorry, I forgot to mention that they have plenty of water: two water dishes of their own and two bird baths. There's enough water to give them webbed feet!

Quote:
LOL they are such ungrateful creatures!

Yeah I would look for them to be buried but sometimes there isnt really anything left of the egg. Is she getting enough water? I see mine do that if one of them knocked over the waterer and dont have water.

Also I have a hen who moves other hens eggs... apparently hers are the best and she wants nothing to do with the other eggs.

Well, it's all about being smarter than they are.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom