The chick with no name....

Graceless1

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 15, 2014

My hubby Forrest had been wanting chickens for a while, not me, no way.
So I was shocked to hear on a dreary Saturday morning in January the words, “Lets go get some chickens.”come from my mouth , I thought it was funny . Then, I heard, 'Do you mean for something to eat now or.....to keep for real in the backyard?' I couldn't say no anymore and I had no idea why I wanted chickens all of a sudden.
After an Internet search I found the perfect place for us to get our chicks. The Little Birdie hatchery a 45 min drive from our house.
We picked out 3. Maybelle a Plymouth Rock, A Buff Orpington named LulaBelle and an Ameraucana Wheaten .
During the ride home I watched Maybelle and LulaBelle peacefully sleeping and one very anxious chick with no name that I had the proverbial OH poop moment. These girls will be living in our bathtub.
As the Fog cleared I remembered what else lives with us. Our Self -Proclaimed bird-chasing, squirrel- treeing, chipmunk tag-teaming duo of Suki the cat and Sasha the Doxie dog Duo. I could only hope we did not wake up to the scattered feathers of Maybelle, LulaBelle and the chick with no name.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if you don't want to wake up to scattered feathers, it is your job to keep them safe. You already know what your cat and dog are like so NEVER the twain shall meet!!

My girls are safe and sound, healthy,happy, beautiful and EXTREMELY spoiled. This was only how my intro to the chicken world came about.

I fell in love with my girls. There was just one problem I was having. While at the hatchery I saw their private flock and really liked their Austrolope. They did not have any available at the time. For a week it was all I could think about. So come the following Saturday we were off to the hatchery again. I picked out the sweetest little 5 day old Austrolope. She was hating the ride home in the box. As soon as I picked her up she nuzzeled down in my shirt and quickly fell asleep. She was such a lady, Ladybug to exact.
When I placed her with the other 3 it was like an instant bond was formed and somehow, I just knew- there would be no more added to this flock.
Suki came into the bathroom, looked into tub, looked at me and I swear Suki let me know she thought I had lost my mind. She never strayed far and Sasha was beside her self. It was clear the chicks are their girls too. Suki and Sasha made no feathers about it. As the weeks went by, we would all hang out on the couch, me, hubby, 4 chickens a cat and a dog, we were a sight to behold! Little did I know the adventure was just beginning.
Alas the time came when they could no longer stay in the bathroom and had to move into their new home. I fretted and could barely sleep that first week. I can't tell you how many times I had to get up and go check on them. Thank goodness I got over that!
What a flock our girls have turned out to be and I include Suki and Sasha in this flock because they wouldn't have it any other way. It is a riot to watch all the girls playing in the yard together. Our protectors were true to form. They stand gaurd over the ladies when ever the neighbors dog comes out into his yard.

They sound very friendly and adorable!!! Love the names! I have an Australorp too! Her name is Sweetie. Lol
I started with 4 chickens and THOUGHT I'd get no more chicks, but here I am with 2 more! lol

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Australorps are the sweetest things! I have a bunch of them and they are such sweet hearts! Big on lap sitting. Can't sit anywhere with out an Aussie on my lap.

Enjoy your babies and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm glad things are going well with your girls. My granddaughter names our girls after Disney princesses. You will love the new Australorp. They are my favorite standard breed; very hardy, calm and gentle, and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chicks.

Back
Top Bottom