the chick with the bad legs doesnt want to eat or drink,what do I do!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pax12, Sep 23, 2009.

1. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    the chick with the bad legs doesnt want to eat or drink,what do I do!! [​IMG]

2. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Have you tried feeding a mash made with gatorade and chick starter? How long has this been going on? Are you keeping her hydrated?

If the legs are very bad and it doesn't want to eat it it might have more wrong with it than you realize. I'm all for trying my best to help everyone along but sometimes there is nothing to be done. If she gets very bad please cull her so she can be at peace.

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

How old is it? The first 3 days it is still absorbing the yolk, so may not be hungry yet. What is wrong with the legs?

4. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    Did you try spoon feeding? I had a chick with a broken leg that I soaked some of her food in Pedialyte until it was mushy and then put the spoon up to her beak. She liked it! More watery at first and then as it gets used to it try putting more food content in it. I soon had to train the chicken it didn't need a spoon to eat!!

5. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    its doing good, i see it drinking [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by