The Chicken Hilton

MiddleC

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 18, 2014
Trying again as my first attempt didn't seem to work!

Anyway, this is the new coop my husband built me while on holidays. It's a massive improvement from what was already here, so I hope the girls love it!

I'm guessing they will be curious, but hopefully not anxious about the change. Is there anything I can do to make them feel more at home??

anu3e6u6.jpg
asu9uqup.jpg

Nice!!

Agree that roosting bars need to be higher-so they don't roost and poop in nests.
..... and bigger, 2x4 wide side up work well, especially in cold climates.

Nice latch on that door....big door going to make cleanout easy!

Change out the chicken wire for 1/2" hardware cloth to keep predators out of coop at night.

Where are you located, helps to know your climate, you can put it in your profile.

Needs some ventilation up high, but can't see the top of roof, so maybe you have a ridge vent there?

Most chickens are not real fond of change, so they might take a bit of time to acclimate to their new digs.

Can you delete posts??!! I tried to post and it didn't go, hoped I had copied it but I hadn't and i must have hit send and not delete!

Thanks for the tips. I didn't know that about the roosting perches, but I now understand why they don't use the current one, it's the same height as the roosting box! Current coop is only hip high and not great at all. Will add a few higher perches in the new one.

We are in the SW of Western Australia. Can be hot, can be cold, but not the extreme heat like elsewhere in the country.

Ventillation - there are small gaps between the planks, the windows and about an inch gap under the roof. Is that enough?

I'd put a ridge vent in that setup, you want most your ventilation up high above the roost, but some down low to provide fresh air intake.
1 square foot of ventilation for each bird is recommended to remove humidity and ammonia fumes.
Cover any openings in winter that might cause a strong cold draft on the roosting area.

Back
Top Bottom