The Chickendad Chronicles

"wing-dragging and twirling" - I love to see my boys do their dance for the girls (who don't really appreciate the effort that takes). Love your stories, dear MrsChickendad. Glad all are better. It will be a beautiful wedding!
wee.gif

I did not realize it had been so long since my last visit. I blame the new BYC system. It doesn't notify me of anything even tho I have it marked to. Well our power is out due to a snow storm so perfect time to catch up on reading.... From my phone. I just can't bare to be out with my chickens. 3 of my runs suffered serious damage and I just want to cry when I see it. I cherish my Barbara mug still. :)

Baby Tales

There have been several development lately at the Chickendad Ranch. The two broody mama Cochins eventually had their clutch of eggs reduced to four. One hatched and appeared to be an only child, so the Chickendads popped on down to the new Family Farm store in Corunna and bought it some silver laced wyandotte sisters for company. The Mamas did not think highly of this procedure, wanting to remain sitting on the other three eggs. They uttered several chicken swear words at the feed store babies and made it clear they were not going to babysit anyone else’s children. They were content to take care of their baby (black cochin, split to self-blue) but squabbled a bit over exactly whose child it was.

The Mamas got more and more upset with the Wyandotte adoptees, so Chickendad removed them to the aquarium brooder to recover from the bullying. He was afraid two of them would not survive, but after warming up and having a snack, they were running around and peeping like nothing had happened. Apparently they did not take the Mamas’ rejection personally.

Soon after the move, two more eggs hatched and the two Mamas had three babies of their own to watch. On close inspection, the fourth egg had died before pipping, but at least the Mamas have enough babies to share for now.

Barbara’s Big Bang Theory

The Chickendads have split up the large fowl pens into a BLRW pen with Davey and his eight ladies, and a Rock pen, consisting of Barbara and her husband Carl (RIR), Carl’s brother and 3 RIR ladies. One day last week, Mrs. Chickendad went out to do chores and found one of the RIR ladies had passed on to the Big Coop in the Sky. The other girls, except for Barbara, were milling about discussing this event and clucking softly, urging the girl to get up. Barbara remained on her roost and watched the proceedings. She felt a bit guilty as she had been giving that girl the stink eye for seeking attention from Carl. Maybe she, Barbara, had killed her!

Barbara decided to ignore Carl for a while and concentrate her attentions on Davey, the Wyandotte in the other part of the Big Coop. Davey was a handsome big fellow, but Barbara was happy there was a fence between them This way she could flirt with him without having to make any sort of commitment.

The next morning, Barbara had to come to terms with the power of her stink eye, as poor Davey had joined the RIR girl in the Big Coop in the Sky. This left all the BLRW girls widowed, and possibly living with a murderess!

Barbara climbed into her favorite nest box and hid for quite a while, except that her fluffy striped backside was sticking out, tipping off her hidey hole. Eventually she decided that she could make it up to everyone by raising some replacement roosters, so she is busily getting her nest box in order so she can make some babies for the flock. Mrs. Chickendad told her to not worry about more roosters, but more little girl chickens would be very nice to have. And besides, Barbara does not have enough mental power to make a chicken’s head explode. That is only a story on The Big Bang Theory!

Last edited:
Barbara’s Big Bang Theory

The Chickendads have split up the large fowl pens into a BLRW pen with Davey and his eight ladies, and a Rock pen, consisting of Barbara and her husband Carl (RIR), Carl’s brother and 3 RIR ladies. One day last week, Mrs. Chickendad went out to do chores and found one of the RIR ladies had passed on to the Big Coop in the Sky. The other girls, except for Barbara, were milling about discussing this event and clucking softly, urging the girl to get up. Barbara remained on her roost and watched the proceedings. She felt a bit guilty as she had been giving that girl the stink eye for seeking attention from Carl. Maybe she, Barbara, had killed her!

Barbara decided to ignore Carl for a while and concentrate her attentions on Davey, the Wyandotte in the other part of the Big Coop. Davey was a handsome big fellow, but Barbara was happy there was a fence between them This way she could flirt with him without having to make any sort of commitment.

The next morning, Barbara had to come to terms with the power of her stink eye, as poor Davey had joined the RIR girl in the Big Coop in the Sky. This left all the BLRW girls widowed, and possibly living with a murderess!

Barbara climbed into her favorite nest box and hid for quite a while, except that her fluffy striped backside was sticking out, tipping off her hidey hole. Eventually she decided that she could make it up to everyone by raising some replacement roosters, so she is busily getting her nest box in order so she can make some babies for the flock. Mrs. Chickendad told her to not worry about more roosters, but more little girl chickens would be very nice to have. And besides, Barbara does not have enough mental power to make a chicken’s head explode. That is only a story on The Big Bang Theory!
awww..... poor barbara!! comes from a highly intelligent chicken studying the meaning of life!!

thanks for sharing!

Baby Tales

There have been several development lately at the Chickendad Ranch. The two broody mama Cochins eventually had their clutch of eggs reduced to four. One hatched and appeared to be an only child, so the Chickendads popped on down to the new Family Farm store in Corunna and bought it some silver laced wyandotte sisters for company. The Mamas did not think highly of this procedure, wanting to remain sitting on the other three eggs. They uttered several chicken swear words at the feed store babies and made it clear they were not going to babysit anyone else’s children. They were content to take care of their baby (black cochin, split to self-blue) but squabbled a bit over exactly whose child it was.

The Mamas got more and more upset with the Wyandotte adoptees, so Chickendad removed them to the aquarium brooder to recover from the bullying. He was afraid two of them would not survive, but after warming up and having a snack, they were running around and peeping like nothing had happened. Apparently they did not take the Mamas’ rejection personally.

Soon after the move, two more eggs hatched and the two Mamas had three babies of their own to watch. On close inspection, the fourth egg had died before pipping, but at least the Mamas have enough babies to share for now.
thats what happened here too, the broodies wanted nothing to do with the little cochin bantams- so we have them in the living room.... poor little guys- so do you have pics coming???

Back
Top Bottom