The Chickens Don't Like The Nesting Boxes

I weigh my plastic nest boxes down with a super heavy rock and place lots of hay over it. Chickens will normally kick about nesting material. Mine pick up strands of hay and place it just so while they wait for the egg to arrive. Now if you have two hens trying to use the same box you will have lots of nesting material thrown out. And if your box is not secure they will push it, knock it over, and other misconduct not approved by humans.
I have a ‘rock garden’ so should I line the bottom of the pan with small rocks, and then put the bedding over it?

It’s a portable coop that sits off the ground, the nesting box comes out of the wall, like it pops out, and until this month it’s just been another part of the coop filled with normal shavings and bedding. The dish pans are the boxes they will sit in, because right now it’s just a square hanging off the coop.

Makes sense then! Seems like screwing them down is the way to go then x

First I would take out the pans and see what happens. (Get them used to laying in the boxes, then put the pans back in a week or 2)
Second I would try to take away their ability to lay anywhere else. (If possible)
Third I may put more then 1 egg in a nesting box. I don't know if this really matters, but I use between 2-4 when im trying to get a silkie to go broody. I know its not the same, but im trying to bring her attention to the nesting box. You are trying to do the same with your girls, but for a different reason.

Last, you may try penning them up so they cant leave, and then they have to lay somewhere in the coop. Force them to lay in the box. You have to "train" your chickens to lay where YOU want them to lay. Train/Encourage. :)

I have a ‘rock garden’ so should I line the bottom of the pan with small rocks, and then put the bedding over it?
I would suggest hay also vs pine shavings. I had one that chose shavings in the easy to get to back end of the coop. Have hay in the harder to get to part and they have a strong preference for that forcing me to duck walk back to collect. I've only hit my head once so far collecting eggs thankfully they are now laying on dog towels in my large dog air transport crate on the front porch now, hopefully more will convert over to that dog box. Next time I make it to the feed store I'm picking up a bale and lining that with hay.

I have gone thru several incarnations of nest boxes, including a big double wide wooden one that had been all the rage for a while. This week everyone wants the little plastic milk crates and today, only one would do....sigh....
2 hens 1 nest.jpg

I use one big, heavy rock. Never had a hen break an egg on a rock. I use hay for bedding and keep it pretty thick. They hay is changed once a week, the rock cleaned, and the basket is also hosed out and allowed to dry. This seem to help keep the dust down. I know many folks who use plastic pans as nest boxes and they seem happy with them.

Back
Top Bottom