The Chickens Haven't Been Laying Since Last Spring Help me Out Here

Mine are not laying either. I had three solid layers out of six...and they went into a molt and quit. Still are quit. Of the other three one is def a roo and the other two not so sure but they are polish and lay rather late.
sharon

i depend on customers buying my eggs to support my chicken addiction... so when I have girls that stop producing it causes financial issues if it is a long term situation. I am culling about 10 dark cornishes this spring because this is their third season so I know their production is going to slide... cornish aren't the greatest layers to begin with... but they are very meaty. My attitude has changed greatly over the past 2 1/2 years--- at first they were all my babies and I didn't think I could bear to part with any of them ...but as I have grown as a "farmer" you realize economics is a very real factor whether you like it or not. I love all my birds so it is not a joyous day when they are culled but I know it is necessary... I also donate some of the birds to local charities that distribute food to the poor (I have a place that processes them at very reasonable prices)...it makes me feel better to know that good is coming out of an unpleasant task.
smile.png

I supplement with cat food a couple of times a week. I make sure they each get a few kibbles per chicken, and I feed the crunchy type cat food. Sometimes they get a bit more.

And I always feed the cat food right "before bed" so that they have eaten all they can eat of the layer pellets - their appropriate diet - before they get to fill up on treats.

Back
Top Bottom