The chickens of the Sunshine Motel!

Pics
I was home sick yesterday and today, so I got to watch chicken tv a lot. And Susan approaching the nest boxes is hilarious! First she snuck away from the flock, then oh-so-casually strolled into the coop. Pecked at the food, then investigated EVERY INCH of the coop... except the nest boxes. Didn't so much as look at the nest boxes. Nooo interest in them at all! The roost, under the roost, the door, the waterer, every inch. Then, last second, she snuck into the nest boxes, and was out again it about five minutes!
No egg song from Susan--back to the flock at once!

Of all of your chickens do you have a favorite breed (excluding Nardole Of course)?
:)
I couldn't pick a favorite breed I don't think. I think the Wyandottes are just so lovely to look at, silver and gold laced equally, with their fluffy butts and lovely pattern. They were my slowest layers, but seem to have come into their own now, and River especially has some size to her eggs now!
The buff orpington, Sarah Jane Smith, is so friendly and such a nice color, and her eggs are so round and uniform!
Black is not my favorite color for a chicken, but Romana, black australorp, is very docile, and so pretty in the light! She was also my first layer, and her eggs are so pretty with their white speckles.
Missy is a hellion. I gather Rhode Island reds are typically bossy, and I love her for it, but I sure am glad she wasn't a rooster! I love her wild ways, and her huge brown speckled eggs, and her deep mahogany color.
And of course Clara-- she is my favorite chicken, but is she my favorite breed? I don't know, as I have never had an Easter Egger before, but she is super social, pretty little blue eggs, and she is a lovely color. I wouldn't mind it if her eggs were bigger, but she is such a love I won't complain.
I adore them all, and I honestly couldn't pick just one breed as my favorite! Besides, once the polish crested and the cream crested legbars arrive (and start laying??) I may have a new favorite!

True. You are so lucky to have so many! I only have 3 Isa Browns and one brahma, then added a blue Wyandotte cockerel. Even though the Isa Browns are just sex links, I like them just as much as the brahma. Though she is a bit stand offish. Lol if I even say her name or look at her from the corner of my eye she runs off. :lol:
I am looking to get a few more, but then I want more than a few. Thinking I might convince my hubby to let me convert the shed to a coop. Then, I can have lots more chickens. A few of each. :D

Alas, my polish chicks from Meyers did not hatch! :hit:hit
They still have the legbar, but only the one I ordered, and they only had 3 gold-laced polish chicks left to send.
I aaaaalmost canceled the order-- I SO wanted a buff-laced!-- but in the end, I can always get another later if I want to, and I do like how the gold laced look on the Wyandottes, so I am sure I will like it in polish.
Screenshot_20181015-100148_Chrome.jpg

Ok, it's a funky bird, but I'm sure Nardole will be thrilled, even if it's only four chicks and not five.
And I know me--the second I lay eyes on a bunch of small babies, it doesn't matter what they are, I must nurture them. They could send me a box of baby rattlesnakes and I'd fuss over them and give them ridiculous names!

Alas, my polish chicks from Meyers did not hatch! :hit:hit
They still have the legbar, but only the one I ordered, and they only had 3 gold-laced polish chicks left to send.
I aaaaalmost canceled the order-- I SO wanted a buff-laced!-- but in the end, I can always get another later if I want to, and I do like how the gold laced look on the Wyandottes, so I am sure I will like it in polish.
View attachment 1561141
Ok, it's a funky bird, but I'm sure Nardole will be thrilled, even if it's only four chicks and not five.
And I know me--the second I lay eyes on a bunch of small babies, it doesn't matter what they are, I must nurture them. They could send me a box of baby rattlesnakes and I'd fuss over them and give them ridiculous names!
Bahaha. About the rattlesnakes. Um, I might think interesting, but never would I fuss over them. Fret is more like it - trying to find them a new home. ;)

Back
Top Bottom