The chicks are all grown up!

Lenka

Songster
7 Years
Jun 30, 2013
Well the chicks are now 8 weeks old, and are looking like little chickens! I have loved watching them all grow up and watching them all color up! They are now in their own coop, and Momma Roux has left them to go back with her left over sisters (lost 2 big girls last week, it was devastating!)

the last temporary pen, set up in my little yard- they got their first taste of free ranging. I was a nervous wreck that day cuz they are still hawk food sized

Stripey girl- no idea what she is, her tail feathers all fan outward, not up and over or straight up like normal... any one know of specific breeds that do this?

two EE 90% sure are girls

Funky little cockrel- hes the first one that I knew was a boy, but I have NO idea what mix he is

Ducky, the first and only named EE chick

Ducky and SS babay- only have 2 SS babaies left, hope they are girls

Ruby and Rudy, 2 hens from the original flock that did not succumb to Mareks or what ever else killed the rest of the hens they came with.

Sigh, they grow up so fast. But that's ok because now you're closer to getting eggs!

P.S. Sorry for your loss re: the other birds. Unfortunately, losses happen sooner or later to everyone's flock.

Sigh, they grow up so fast. But that's ok because now you're closer to getting eggs!

P.S. Sorry for your loss re: the other birds. Unfortunately, losses happen sooner or later to everyone's flock.

thanks, I realize that loss happens to every flock, but i've lost more then 50% of my flock to SOMETHING.. mostly likely Mareks.. and then this past week one to a coyote and another to lice/ mites and treatment.... but I think these chicks are stronger and healthier and they will survive.. these guys are not blood related to my flock and have been outside since they've hatched.

I forgot to add.. that out of 14.. there are only 3 roosters :D (3 untill someone umexpected decides to crow) and one will most likely be kept... and its either the beautiful black one (black copper maran I think) or that speckled boy because hes so funky looking

Lenka, please know I wasn't trying to make light of your losses. We went through losing 4 out of our first 7 and that happened in about a 2 week span so I know how awful that can be. It's frustrating, sad and disheartening to become attached and then lose them. I meant only to offer some sympathy, not to sound callous about it. I'm glad your birds are doing well now.

That's alot of chickens! And so busy. You'll get a lot of eggs from this group. Unfortunately death does occur when you have animals. Death is the worst part. Watching them grow and thrive is the best part. Enjoy those eggs!

Lenka, please know I wasn't trying to make light of your losses. We went through losing 4 out of our first 7 and that happened in about a 2 week span so I know how awful that can be. It's frustrating, sad and disheartening to become attached and then lose them. I meant only to offer some sympathy, not to sound callous about it. I'm glad your birds are doing well now.

DOnt worry, I didnt take it as you making light of anything, I do know about loss, and this past year was just really devastating in the chicken loss for me, as well as many people I know.

I realize now how much better it is getting eggs or chicks at a much younger age tho. My original flock was 6 weeks old when i got them, and apperently never been outside at all which I think really messed things up when I put them out in my yard. But thats neither here nor there.

These guys look much better and yes there are a lot of layers which is what we were hoping to get.I cant wait till they start laying eggs, im expecting some green or blue ones ( I currently have 1 EE hen, and she lays brown eggs... what a bummer). Watching them grow has been really awesome!

Back
Top Bottom