The chicks are out!!!! PICS

Thanks for your imput. I did have them in the coop only for 7 days. They also have food and water both inside and out. I guess sometimes they just don't follow the rules of reason
lol.png

Quote:
The trick is to keep them shut up in the coop for a few days before letting them out. That way they know the coop is their bedroom and kitchen. When you finally let them out, keep the food in the coop and water both inside and out and they will get the idea.

Speaking of locking them in the coop. What is best to do when it is hot outside?
We are topping 90 degrees here.

So far I have just been picking them up at dusk and putting them in the coop.
Will they get the idea after a while that the coop is where they sleep.
idunno.gif

I am afraid that if I lock them in the coop in this heat they will get die due to
over heating.

Is there any other methods that works well in high heat??
hu.gif

Any advice would be great.
hmm.png

Thanks

Quote:
I'm having the same dilemma. It is hot and humid here in western MD (95 tomorow w/ high humidity). SHould I let them go back in the coop during the day? I'm about dying in this heat myself and am worried about them. I have been putting a whole bag of ice in their water so they have fresh cool water.

I have been doing that too.
clap.gif

Yesterday I fill their waterer with ice then put water in it.
They loved it they just drank and drank the cool water.
It did not take the ice long to melt but it did keep the
water cold for a while.

It has been really hot here with no end to the heat wave in the near
future for now.

Ohhhh I love the BO's~ Yours are just as cute!!! My love to run around and play outside~ And I love when they catch all the pesky grasshoppers
lau.gif

Quote:
I feel your pain here in SC the high is forecasted 96 today and tomorrow and the rest of the week is in the 90's to!! My poor babies they just stand at the sliding glass door like... let me in!
jumpy.gif
I keep plenty of water outside for them and they usually just dust bath under the tree's but I think they miss the cool ac in my house!

I put some dark soil and sand in a baby pool for the girls to fluff in and they are slowly gravitating to it instead of my veggie bed. I like the peat moss idea, tho, and may add some. Do you add DE or sulfur for mite control? We got skin mites right now. bummer.

Thanks, I love my BO's.
love.gif
They are a lot of fun and are so loving.
They get excited whenever I come toward their pen, kind of like a
dog would. I pay them visits several times a day to make sure they
are doing okay in the heat.

I still need some advice on the heat situation here and getting them to
know that the coop is where they live.
caf.gif

With it being so hot I am putting them in the coop at dusk,
will they get the idea that the coop is where they are supposed
to sleep/live or is there a better way to teach them that?
hu.gif

with it topping 90's here, I am afraid that they will die to over heating if I lock them
in the coop.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom