The chicks came this morning

Remudamom

Songster
11 Years
Oct 10, 2008
West of the Mississippi
And there were 11 I wasn't expecting. They packed them in for the extra body heat and said they were all roos. Poor little things.

Anyhow, I wasn't expecting that many so my dd made me an emergency brood box, put the 11 in there.

Then I took a dark colored sterilite box up to the henhouse, loaded Little Mom and her eggs in there with some shavings, put the lid on to keep it dark and then brought her into the house and switched the eggs for the banties. Lid is back on and they seem to be doing well. She's covering all eight of them and pecked me when I was helping them under.

I watered them all and put some food with them briefly before giving them to Little Mom. How long should I leave them before putting water and food in? They were shipped yesterday.

I know I should have waited for evening to switch, but I didn't have a safe place to keep that many. Hopefully we're good.

Congrats on the chicks! I picked up an order myself about an hour ago at the PO. Got me some BO pullets and an assortment of heavy breed pullets in addition to the small Ideal flock a friend ordered. What'd ya get?

They shouldn't need food yet but I'd put it in now. It's not going to hurt if they start eating on day 2 and surely mama hen will want to eat.

Pictures please
caf.gif
(from both)
smile.png
! Congratulations.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom