The chicks that grabbed me :)

moonliteslady

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 5, 2014
North Texas
Hard to believe a little chick can grab you so quick but thats what happened when Hubby opened the shipping box last week. There they were, 8 little assorted silkies and 9 unordered chicks lol. So I was completely delighted :) to see them all. The agreement was 5 and I ordered 8 :) so 17 was a Score in my book. lol... After a couple of days we notice not just size differences but personality diffs as well...Hubby says the big ones gotta go cuz im not building 2 seperate pens lol (understandable, dont wanna push it) Turns out we THINK they were RIR's :) They were so sweet and would sit in my hands happily til
[/IMG] another would shove them out lol... I'm happy to say that they have chicky havens for homes now :) SOooo on to my lil silkies!!!!!! Omg! Loads of fun to watch super dooper little sweeties each have own quirks & chirps & it cracks me up...I have 4 cream/yellows 2 speckled 1 black & 1 blue/grayish...8 days old today & they have started getting lil feathers, uni-brows & sassyness :) I am sure I will be posting questions

It really is exciting isn't it? It just keeps getting better. I wish I wouldn't have gotten my 2 silkies as they are so mild tempered and don't fit in with my barnyard mix of chickens. Don't get me wrong I love my silkies but I just don't think they are happy being pushed around by all the larger hens. :( I also am uncertain how they will hold up to our Wisconsin winters.. best of luck with your new chicks..;)

Congrats on your babies, it sounds like you got quite a few ' packing penuts' which hatcheries send to keep your order warm. Often they are the sexed chicks that are male and thus left overs. Silkies can get along with other big birds but they are susceptible to bullying as well . you will notice a big difference in growth rates as well .

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. It's always exciting to get those chicks. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your new chicks.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined the flock!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Chicks sure are fun to watch, aren't they? Chick TV! And they do have their own personalities. You will notice lots of changes to their personalities over the next year and some will become real sweet hearts.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

Thank you all for the warm welcome :)
Chick TV is always the BEST thing on lol
They are always up to something, like figuring out how to get to the shavings that i carefully try to conceal with paper towel. lol
First question when can they have just shavings? They are 9 days today..

Last edited:
Your chicks should have figured out by now what food is, and shavings aren't food. They should be okay with the shavings now, tho it is chicken instinct to dig and go through the shavings looking for bugs or food.

Hatcheries usually stuff in male chicks to help keep the box warm. That's how little they are valued by them.

Back
Top Bottom