The chicks that grabbed me :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by moonliteslady, Aug 6, 2014.

1. moonliteslady

moonliteslady New Egg

Aug 5, 2014
    North Texas
    Hard to believe a little chick can grab you so quick but thats what happened when Hubby opened the shipping box last week. There they were, 8 little assorted silkies and 9 unordered chicks lol. So I was completely delighted :) to see them all. The agreement was 5 and I ordered 8 :) so 17 was a Score in my book. lol... After a couple of days we notice not just size differences but personality diffs as well...Hubby says the big ones gotta go cuz im not building 2 seperate pens lol (understandable, dont wanna push it) Turns out we THINK they were RIR's :) They were so sweet and would sit in my hands happily til[​IMG][/IMG] another would shove them out lol... I'm happy to say that they have chicky havens for homes now :) SOooo on to my lil silkies!!!!!! Omg! Loads of fun to watch super dooper little sweeties each have own quirks & chirps & it cracks me up...I have 4 cream/yellows 2 speckled 1 black & 1 blue/grayish...8 days old today & they have started getting lil feathers, uni-brows & sassyness :) I am sure I will be posting questions

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! What an adorable little flock!

3. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    It really is exciting isn't it? It just keeps getting better. I wish I wouldn't have gotten my 2 silkies as they are so mild tempered and don't fit in with my barnyard mix of chickens. Don't get me wrong I love my silkies but I just don't think they are happy being pushed around by all the larger hens. :( I also am uncertain how they will hold up to our Wisconsin winters.. best of luck with your new chicks..;)

4. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Congrats on your babies, it sounds like you got quite a few ' packing penuts' which hatcheries send to keep your order warm. Often they are the sexed chicks that are male and thus left overs. Silkies can get along with other big birds but they are susceptible to bullying as well . you will notice a big difference in growth rates as well .

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. It's always exciting to get those chicks. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your new chicks.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock!

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Chicks sure are fun to watch, aren't they? Chick TV! And they do have their own personalities. You will notice lots of changes to their personalities over the next year and some will become real sweet hearts.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

No need for TV when you have chicks around! [​IMG]

9. moonliteslady

moonliteslady New Egg

Aug 5, 2014
    North Texas
    Thank you all for the warm welcome :)
    Chick TV is always the BEST thing on lol
    They are always up to something, like figuring out how to get to the shavings that i carefully try to conceal with paper towel. lol
    First question when can they have just shavings? They are 9 days today..

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Your chicks should have figured out by now what food is, and shavings aren't food. They should be okay with the shavings now, tho it is chicken instinct to dig and go through the shavings looking for bugs or food.

Hatcheries usually stuff in male chicks to help keep the box warm. That's how little they are valued by them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by