The chirping is going to drive me to violence....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jeffross1968, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Songster

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Ok, so firstly, this isn't our first trip around the incubator. We've been hatching our own chickens out for a year and a half. Hundreds of chicks. Inevitably, there is always a chick that for a couple days, likes to make more noise than the others. So, our first hatch this year was a bit over a week ago. The eggs from our flock hatched on time and are healthy. But I got some eggs from a friend, Marans, and they all hatched late...including two that we had to help out of the egg on day 25 (2 others of the same lineage died in the shell). It's one of those that is making me take prescription anxiety pills so I don't lose it.

It was very weak by the time we decided to try and save it. It stayed in the Brinsea for nearly a day to dry out and gain it's strength. It was quiet and slept most of the first couple days. Since then...OMG the horror.

This thing spends all it's waking hours chirping. That horrible loud chirping that penetrates the walls of a sound proof room. You know the kind I'm referring to. But that isn't it's only anti-endearing quality, and these make me wonder if I'm 5 days late trying to put it out of it's (and my) misery. Firstly, it's the run by far. Half the size of the other one that had pipped but needed help out. Also, this chick walks backwards at least as much as it walks forward. It also tends to get pretty bad pasty butt, which needs cleaned daily (stressed out obviously). But the worse thing is that the few times I've seen it sleep, it's very short lived and when it awakes, it shakes its head violently and throws itself half a foot across the brooder.

I've seen it drink regularly, and it does appear to have some food in it's crop, though after a week, I've only seen it eat a couple times. Apparently though, since it's not pooping out bright green and has a crop, it must be eating.

So...help please. For the love of all that is holy to the chicken owning world...please...if you have any personal experience for this type of thing, even if your best advice is to cull it because it likely has brain damage or something....please reply. Thank you!

[​IMG]

2. I LOVE the sound of chicks chirping! Sorry I have no advice.

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Crowing

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I've always noticed that chicks are noisy if they start getting chilled. Have you been checking the temperature regularly (90 degrees the second week)? I raise chicks in house and can hear them from the bedroom at night, but very few things keep me awake. Try some ear plugs and one of those vibrating alarm clocks. Lol.

1 person likes this.
  4. Impress

Impress Songster

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    I have had to suffer this horror before. I completely understand what you mean, that high constant CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP FREAKING CHEEP! Is enough to drive you to drinking.

I found an easy solution though. $5 ostrich feather duster from Wal-mart. Hang is where the annoying chick of annoyance can get under it, and it should go right under it and shut up. It has worked for me several times with pesky loudmouths.

5. joeyfender

joeyfender Chirping

Mar 1, 2013
    Texas
    Either your chick is cold or just a little...special...

6. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Songster

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I will totally try that. The temps are fine, clean water and food. It's only one chick out of the 7. Everyone else is happy so I don't want to overheat the others just for this chick. I'll let you know if the feather duster works....thanks!

7. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    awwww chirping is sweet to me. i hope the feather duster works for you. its just a a baby Hope it does well.

8. chirpingcricket

chirpingcricket Songster

Apr 6, 2011
    Fairhope, AL
    Hey, no expert here, just had a situation(s) with a neighbor's peeper who wasn't doing well. (I tend to nurse chickens these days vs humans) I put a small stuffed furry animal (happened to be a Rotwieler puppy stuffed animal) in with the peeper and it helped alot. It would burrow under a leg of the toy and settle down to sleep. Kinda answers the warmth and need to bond issue too. Afterwards, I put the toy in the wash to sanitize then dry. Still have it and it's become the little mascot. I'll probably use it again with our first incubator hatch next week.
    [​IMG]

9. DavidEllis

DavidEllis Hatching

Feb 16, 2013
    Fallbrook, CA
    I read about the stuffed animal trick somewhere else, too.
    Decided to try it with a couple of 3-day old Silver Laced Wyandottes that chirped LOUDLY all night long - BINGO!
    They have been sleeping for a couple of hours now!...
    The 8-day old Buff Orpington likes it too!

[​IMG]

10. chirpingcricket

chirpingcricket Songster

Apr 6, 2011
    Fairhope, AL
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by