The Christmas Guilt Trip... *I officially dislike Christmas* PG 3

Thankfully our inlaws are 1000 miles away and they live up east so the roads suck for that long of a trip with all the kids. No conflict. Now if I could just come up for a similar reason for my family we would all be set.

Family can be trying. Be thankful we have them and then be thankful we don't have to see them every day. I would visit on Christmas eve before you go to work and then just continue on with your original plans.

Take a trip to the Bahamas, take a trip to the mountains, take any trip offered EXCEPT a GUILT TRIP.
They are typically one-way tickets to Hell, where they are waiting to torment you more once you get there.

My mom was the East Coast Travel Agent for guilt trips. And I took them over and over. Finally I learned
to 'Just Say NO". Lo and behold, the world did not stop spinning on it's axis when I stopped participating in the insanity!
But I was happier, healthier and far less resentful than I'd ever been.
I highly recommend it.

DH's mom is the WORST about guilt trips. She had basically pushed him away from talking to her b/c all she ever does is lay on the guilt trips when he DOES talk to her, then she wonders why he doesn't return her phone calls.
barnie.gif
She said she wanted Santa (us) to buy her a plane ticket this year to come and visit since she doesn't have the money. Umm, no, I have my own bills to pay, not to mention I couldn't handle the negativity at the holidays.
smack.gif

Ah...The joy of dealing with only one side of the family since mine are all out of state.

My suggestion, for what it's worth: Visit with mom before work, go to work, then go to his side of the family on the 25th like you planned. If mom clucks, just shrug and smile. It'll make her appreciate you that much more!!

Merry Christmas!

Quote:
Seriously?

Of course. If not, then you have a lot of moving and shaking of all the different factors and trying to coordinate everyone's schedules.

Fellowship with family shouldn't be on any kind of a schedule and it certainly shouldn't revolve around a meal, for pete's sake! The house is open, snacks are on the counter, we are home....flow in, flow out, stay late or leave early, eat the meal, don't eat the meal....why is it so important to everyone that there be a certain commitment to a time schedule and parting out one's time on an equal basis?

No wonder everyone gets their panties in a wad for the holidays and starts a thread about not doing Christmas or holiday guilt trips! Life is stressful enough without creating your own little dramas that really mean nothing in the long run. It's a turkey, folks. Not a wedding, a funeral, major surgery or even a birth....it's a meal and a chat. End of story.

I have lost all faith in Christmas.

Mom spends 23 out of 24 hours a day in bed...
The doctors have no answers, but I'm sure a large part of it is depression.

I am 100% responsible for setting up her medications (more than a dozen pills a day)...
I am also 100% responsible for making sure she takes them.

My department at work has been "dissolved" and I have been "absorbed" into another unit...
I hate it. (But I am thankful I have a job, which is more than I can say for SO at the moment)

I wanted to do our Christmas a little earlier on Christmas Eve since I am working...
Too much of an inconvienence for the "other" family members (none of whom are working).

I spent an entire day decorating the outside of my folks' house a couple of weeks ago because Mom loves the lights....
They haven't been on since.

We won't even mention the gift situation...

All I want to do is run to SO and cry...
But he is out of town- UNTIL CHRISTMAS!

hit.gif

I am officially ending this pity party for myself. I just had to vent.

Terrah grab Chris and head my way. I have a comfy couch, and a 3 year old that will wear your butt out, I am a good cook, and I love playing cards. Rum and coke, tea or milk. And a recently located bottle of butterscotch schnapps!

Quote:
hugs.gif
Thanks Debi. I thought of you today, I was listening to the TV in a semi-concious state and they were saying that SOCAL is getting dumped on- soaking rains and the potential for more than a foot of snow in some places. I hope you're staying warm and dry.
hugs.gif

It's supposed to snow here tomorrow, but they're saying less than an inch.
sad.png

So... When should Chris and I book our flight
wink.png

Quote:
hugs.gif
Thanks Debi. I thought of you today, I was listening to the TV in a semi-concious state and they were saying that SOCAL is getting dumped on- soaking rains and the potential for more than a foot of snow in some places. I hope you're staying warm and dry.
hugs.gif

It's supposed to snow here tomorrow, but they're saying less than an inch.
sad.png

So... When should Chris and I book our flight
wink.png

We are getting dumped on. Rain for me and I LOVE it. You two are welcome any time. When can you take vacation?

Back
Top Bottom