The cicks are hatching, the chicks are hatching

Old Man Tom

Songster
May 31, 2016
Set Black Copper Marans eggs 3pm, April 2, 2018 My eggs, my chickens! First chic hatched 8:45am April 23, 2018 Have not changed anything. Temp holding 101 degrees humidity 65% to 75% depending on whether a chic is hatching. First chic will be in there for 48 hrs tomorrow at 8:45 am!! I will not open because only 7 of 15 have hatched so far. Those that have hatched are very health and look great. Can the first one actually do fine for 3 full days before he goes to the brooder. Never hatched an egg, never used an incubator FIRST TIME!! I have read everything on this site for the last 30 days! Thanks for all the help! 7 BCM's right now THIS IS SOO COOL TOM

Usually a hatch will wrap up in 48 hours or so, from the time the first one fully hatches, to the last. But can take longer.
If you don't plan to open the lid, you may just find out how long they can survive.

Congrats on your first hatch. BCMs are some of the toughest to start with too! What type of incubator are you using?

(not trying to sway you, but I can survive days without food and water too, but I sure don't like to do it)

I've gone 7 days without food, personal fast! Was good for me, been along time since I've done that! You are saying you would move to the brooder?? Tom

Usually a hatch will wrap up in 48 hours or so, from the time the first one fully hatches, to the last. But can take longer.
If you don't plan to open the lid, you may just find out how long they can survive.

Congrats on your first hatch. BCMs are some of the toughest to start with too! What type of incubator are you using?

(not trying to sway you, but I can survive days without food and water too, but I sure don't like to do it)
X2!

I have had them die after 24 hours in the incubator. Lockdown does not mean you can't ever open the lid on the incubator. It is used to remind people to not open the lid too much.

Get the one out that has been in so long along with any dry ones. It will be fine

I give mine 4 to 6 hours until they are fully dry then take them out and to the brooder. They are always eating and drinking within 24hours. I know they can survive longer, but I feel much better getting them out. I have no issues with opening the lid multiple times during a hatch but its a decision that you have to make and feel comfortable with :)

Back
Top Bottom