The Clarskburg Quackers.. (Rescued Pekins) Where are they now?

I know there are a lot of variables that lead people to abandon ducks and other kinds of animals (I don't think folks in Florida are too thrilled with the burgeoning python population). The case of the Clarksburg Quackers is a kind of weird case, both in the number of ducks and where and why the dumper left them. And although I wholeheartedly appreciate what Metzer is doing and applaud his efforts, I wonder how much posing information on his blog is preaching to the choir. I would think that most people who go out of their way to order from a hatchery have enough knowledge to know that simply releasing birds into the wild is bad.

I'm wondering if maybe we can get an organized effort to get postable information out to farm stores and to officials at local parks, etc. I think many dumpers are people who spontaneously decide to get these cute animals, especially around Easter, then realize they aren't up for the care involved, and truly think the most humane solution is to leave the animals in the wild.

I know the farm stores don't want to do anything to discourage the purchase of these animals. But maybe if we can convince them, if not to refuse to sell to idiots in condos for their kids' Easter baskets, to at least make customers aware of options if they are unable to handle duck/chicken ownership. I know places like TSC offer a basic one page sheet on "how to car for baby chicks/ducks," but it would be nice if they contained a wee bit more info on needs for older birds.

And it would be great to work with parks, but small municipal parks, as well as bigger state parks, to post info about releasing animals. Something super simple, with maybe a graphic, so people immediately see it. Maybe a tad more info at the bottom saying it's cruel to the animals and bad for the environment, and even why. Perhaps phone numbers for further info or help placing unwanted animals, where novices wouldn't otherwise know to look.

Many parks currently have postings about it being illegal to dump animals. But I think a lot of people somehow thinks it doesn't apply to them. "Oh well, ducks are naturally wild and there are already ducks here, so it must be OK. It's not like I'm releasing big snakes or letting a dog go to fend for itself."

Just. my .02. I don't know from graphic design, but I am kind of artsy and I'm committed to getting the word out. I'd be happy to work with others on a project like this. A good friend of mine is a biologist in the Migratory Birds Division of US Fish and Wildlife. She helped me understand some background and reach George Allen early on in the Muscovy Ban fiasco earlier this year. I know they're vexed by Mallards in general, and have a big problem with the release of animals. Perhaps we can coordinate with them as well and offer some assistance.

I also think it would be helpful to put the word out to local papers in the Springtime, before Easter, when people are getting those cute little birds they have no intention of keeping.

I think that would be great at one of our lakes to put a huge sign out in the areas where people tend to unload their ducks with a little info on where to take them or what might happen if they do try to drop them off. But, we have a lot of signs that people ignore such as the "no harassing animals" and "pick up your fishing line/wire" signs. I may bring this up to the head of the Friends of this lake in the future, though.

Parrotchick, I think a campaign like this would be truly awesome and I would be willing to help spread the word from Maryland in anyway I can.
thumbsup.gif

I FINALLY found the camera ( under my 17 yr old daughters dresser:/) today and got some pics of my Clarksburg Quackers. It's hard to get them by themselves, they're always with the rest of the flock, but here's a couple of shots of them this afternoon. Aren't they just a beautiful addition to the farm? We love them so much!

35720_1ducks.jpg

35720_2ducks.jpg

Very cute pictures! Yours are so slim and trim.. I'm afraid that my quackers are rather er.. "plump"?

On the note of Metzer doing his blog.. Yes, I will update everyone when it comes out. And, I don't necessarily think it is "preaching to the choir". Because Metzer is a large hatchery that does small orders (perfect for Easter presents), I imagine that many new waterfowl owners read the blog to get an idea of the world of poultry. Also, it is not a topic that is usually in the poultry owner's brains 24/7, and by bringing it to the forefront for a moment, maybe they would spread it to new poultry owners? That is just my thinking.

Anyways, I would love to start a campaign, but currently I am at college, balancing a D1 sports team, two riding teams, 4 lab science classes, and work. If anyone would like to "get the ball rolling", I will help in any way possible and definitely commit a sizable amount of time to it on winter and spring breaks. Also, on the note of TSC selling to idiots - technically, it is law in some states that you may only sell in quantities of 5/6 birds or more. I would want to work on enforcement of these laws, and getting them approved in all states (I'm pretty sure some states don't have them, but don't have time to look that up now). I would LOVE the Clarksburg Quackers story to influence the lives of many ducks and other waterfowl to come.

Oh my slim and trim pekins are only JUST slim and trim. They and the Appleyards had gotten more than plump from my compulsion to over feed and spoil them. I had to cut back on the feed a bit. I was going through way to much for the number of ducks I have and they were getting so fat they had trouble climbing into the pools. LOL I love them though and I haven't the heart to cut back on the treats.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom