The cock that lays eggs... intersex chicken?

southernbound13

Chirping
Apr 24, 2018
Ok so this is going to sound nuts and if I'm incredibly stupid please forgive me. So last summer our hen went broody and sat on 4 eggs, two of her own and two of our RIR. To our disappointment every single one appeared to be a cock. They all developed red, large combs early and before long they all had pointy saddle feathers and waddles and very typical cock features all the way around. We lost two to the neighbors dog last month, leaving us with one from the orpington that raised them and one of the RIR crosses. The RIR cross always seemed a little unusual, he didnt seem to truly crow, his long tail feathers hadnt come in and his spurs weren't coming in as fast as his brothers. Then last night the thing sat on the nest and this morning we had 5 eggs out of what we thought were only 4 hens. WHAT THE HECK. Now upon looking closer we noticed it does have a rather hen like tail but literally every other thing about this bird is rooster. What is up with this?!? (Pictured with brother)
20190123_165950.jpg

20190123_165852.jpg

20190123_165420.jpg

20190123_165415.jpg

20190123_165417.jpg

I would think so too but #1 they all lay in the same place so we definitely didnt miss one. #2 of the 4 hens 3 lay blue green or white eggs, we only have one brown egger and she was laying again this afternoon when i fed so she would have had to have laid last night, this morning and then again this afternoon. 3 eggs in 24 hours? That's almost as unbelievable.

I would think so too but #1 they all lay in the same place so we definitely didnt miss one. #2 of the 4 hens 3 lay blue green or white eggs, we only have one brown egger and she was laying again this afternoon when i fed so she would have had to have laid last night, this morning and then again this afternoon. 3 eggs in 24 hours? That's almost as unbelievable.
We had a family friend that came into the same situation their Blue Andalusian what they thought would be a rooster layed and egg and now not sure if it's a hen or not. I have tried researching it but nothing comes up I am also confused! I blame global warming! :p

We had a family friend that came into the same situation their Blue Andalusian what they thought would be a rooster layed and egg and now not sure if it's a hen or not. I have tried researching it but nothing comes up I am also confused! I blame global warming! :p
Theres a few articles on research and its estimated to be about 1 in 10,000 which let's be real is 3 every large hatchery hatch so not terribly rare but the jury still seems to be out on if they can lay eggs.... I think they call them gynadromorphs

Theres a few articles on research and its estimated to be about 1 in 10,000 which let's be real is 3 every large hatchery hatch so not terribly rare but the jury still seems to be out on if they can lay eggs.... I think they call them gynadromorphs
Gyandromorphs show female and male traits. In this case, he would likely also have different colors distributed on his body. Just a very feminine rooster.

Back
Top Bottom