The cock that lays eggs... intersex chicken?

What are the possible crosses? Is the questionable chicken crowing? Mounting? Spurs compared to its hatch mates?

Just because this post made me think of another
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/does-she-have-poor-circulation.1288406/#post-20878192
Interesting!! And the sire roo (and at the time the only roo on the place) is an orpington/leghorn that was one of the neighbors bachelors and decided he lived with us a few years back. The hen was a RIR. No crowing, no mounting and has tiny spur buds, about half the size of its brothers

Chickens cannot change their sex. And if you truly had a hen that laid 2 eggs in one day there were probably circumstances that lead you to believe she laid two.
No one is talking about chickens changing their sex. Birds that posess an assortment of Male and female presenting cells are found not infrequently in nature and, as someone said above there are conditions that can cause hens that posess male phenotypes. The question is if this bird is one of the above.

I have a hen that crows. I just discovered this. She is a little Sebright, going on 2 yrs old and a very good layer when not broody. Sat. night temps were to be single digits and she had spent the day shivering on the roost, so I brought her into the basement for the night. In the morning, our rooster out in the coop began crowing and the Sebright hen crowed back! Over and over she crowed. I put her back out when it got sunny.
this is a pic of her in the basement--little Moonshine:
Sylvie in from the cold (3 of 1).jpg

A damaged or non functioning left ovary can cause a Female Hen to exhibit male qualities due to not having estrogen to counter the natural testosterone that they have. Crowing...spurs plumage etc. they cannot produce Sperm.
Oh yeah this is true. They can't function as a full rooster, but depending on how you look at it... :confused:
I stand by the fact that sometimes more than one egg will be laid by the malfunctioning of the ovary when an extra ovule is released, and the body makes an egg around it. Usually in a double yolker, but more than one egg can be produced.

The American standard of perfection makes a reference to "hen feathering" and "cock feathering". Basically where one gender has the feathering more common to the other gender. It must have been common enough back during the time the 1910 edition was published to have it listed as a disqualification. There's a chance he could just be a really late bloomer, or was hatched from the shallower end of the gene pool. And there's a chance one of the hens was trying to kick the brown egg out of the nest and it was hidden in the previous collection.

Solitary confinement might or might not answer the question. If they are free range the sudden confinement could work against you.

The American standard of perfection makes a reference to "hen feathering" and "cock feathering". Basically where one gender has the feathering more common to the other gender. It must have been common enough back during the time the 1910 edition was published to have it listed as a disqualification. There's a chance he could just be a really late bloomer, or was hatched from the shallower end of the gene pool. And there's a chance one of the hens was trying to kick the brown egg out of the nest and it was hidden in the previous collection.

Solitary confinement might or might not answer the question. If they are free range the sudden confinement could work against you.
True. Hens move eggs sometimes. :lol:

That's a good point. I think I'm going to give it a week and see if our overall egg production raises and how many brown eggs we get and if the average stays higher than before then I'll try confining him, maybe with his buddy or one of the colored eggers.

Back
Top Bottom