the cold is coming

Discussion in 'Quail' started by the outdoorsman44, Nov 14, 2012.

1. the outdoorsman44

the outdoorsman44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chandler, AZ
    it is starting to get cold in arizona and is there anything i need to do to keep the quail warm.:)

2. drowe005

drowe005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Corapeake NC
    I would imagine not being that you live in Arizona, but Im not sure what kind of temperatures you experience since I guess it would matter would part of the state you live in. It also would make a difference in what kind of quail it is that you have. What kind do you have and what will the temps be in mid-winter in the part of the state that you live in? Those 2 questions being answered should help someone give you an accurate answer.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If temps are going to get below freezing at any time, it is always best to offer up your quail a place to get out of the wind, rain and or snow. Something with walls, a ceiling and a solid floor. Put some bedding on the floor so they can keep their feet warm and off any wire. They can live thru some brutal cold temps, as long as they are dry and out of the wind.

4. the outdoorsman44

Jun 22, 2011
    Chandler, AZ
    thanks. i dont think it ever hits freezing but we do get some frost. i have a gambels and scaled left, one of each now and i will try to get a place for them to go.

-britt

5. rrtimothy

rrtimothy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2012
    Mesa, AZ
    Chandler? That isn't too far from Mesa... I cant believe that we are saying its COLD Fri's high is 81 :)

6. the outdoorsman44

Jun 22, 2011
    Chandler, AZ
    wow. i know where i am it gets pretty cold but its not quite here.
    and what kind of quail do you have rrtimothy

7. Ntsees

Ntsees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2012
    Your quail species you have should be able to handle the conditions where you live, because the last time I checked, they were native to Arizona.

8. rrtimothy

rrtimothy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2012
    Mesa, AZ
    None at the moment... Going to get some Coturnix

9. drowe005

drowe005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Corapeake NC
    Coturnix do really well with the cold

10. Sister Mary Michael

Sister Mary Michael Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Bridger MT
    I put an electric dog waterer in my large quail pen here in Montana. Put a layer of dirt and slipped it into the hutch I made to keep them out of the rain and now snow. They sure love it and huddle in there at night and when the wind blows. It's 28 degrees now and should drop to 19 tonight. They seem OK and are eating and getting warm water in the mornings. If it gets too bad, I may have to catch them and put them in the garage in a smaller pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by