The coop survived a tornado!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lilacfeather, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Lilacfeather

Lilacfeather Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    So, we went out to eat tonight, and while we were gone a tornado came through our area. There were a few trees down, etc, and the wind actually blew the whole coop over and into the fence. Our neighbor had righted it by the time we got home.

The girls were all loose in the yard, which I think was a good thing. They found a good spot to hunker down, and they are all present and accounted for, and ok.

This was after our very nice neighbor tipped it back upright, but you can see it is way off the foundation.

[​IMG]

Here you can see where it landed on the fence. The roofing got a little crumpled, but we just popped the dents out, and it's all fine! And the chickens were just doing their thing when we got home, like nothing at all had happened.

[​IMG]

See, everyone was making fun of me for wanting a well-built coop, but as usual, I am right!! Ha!

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] glad it served its purpose!!!(to protect and provide a safe sturdy home)

3. gettinaclue

gettinaclue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Virginia
    That's excellent! Glad the girls and coop are okay!

4. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:x2 and your family is OK

5. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    Glad you and your human and feathered family are safe. Your coop is a testament to how they should be built - safe, sturdy and secure!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

That is great! Sturdy AND beautiful.[​IMG]

7. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Wow! Awesome testament to your coop-building skills!

8. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    [​IMG] YAY! CONGRATZ!!

9. brounii

brounii Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Jonesborough, TN
    I am so glad that you and your family (feathered alike) are OK! We, too, had bad storms here in East Tennessee and I was worried about the coop, but ours faired well also. Good job on a well built coop! I'm glad your neighbors were able to right it with no major damage to coop or fence. God bless! [​IMG]

10. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    What I find interesting--beyond your coop building skills--is that your birds took it all in stride. Makes a point to those who over worry about their chickens when it comes to wind, rain, cold and snow--they adapt better than their owners. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by