The Coop You Need When Society Breaks Down

Quote:
So he doesn't have a daughter then
lol.png

hmm.png
I was thinking the same thing.....
roll.png

I learned a new word today: "maggotry". Now how to work it into my vocabulary,hmm.

If you've read his blog on the 'maggotry' then the only phrase you'll ever need is...

I will never have a maggotry, I will never have a maggotry, I will never have a maggotry, I will never have a maggotry, I will never..................

While the family garage may ultimately serve as a better location for this operation, I doubt most garages are in a state of current use that would allow for immediate transformation into chicken production and the fact that most operational homesteads only operate with a single cock and a trio of hens and thus would be putting the coop before the chickens. This though, should be your ambition, as at that point you will be able to produce all the caloric nutrient needs of your family right in the garage.

"Produce all the caloric needs of your family right in the garage"????

a) that would be a LOT o chicken

and b) chickens do not PRODUCE digestible calories; they merely convert 'em from plant or insect (etc) matter to tasty white and dark meat.

Where does this genius propose to get stuff to FEED his chickens??? It ain't gonna be produced in the garage, that's for sure.

Also, to the extent that any of the stuff that'd get fed to the chickens is already edible by people, it is better to eat it YOURSELF (in a desperate-for-food situation) as chickens will convert no more than 5-15% of feed into meat -- meaning that you are *wasting* the vast majority of the calories in the chicken feed, if you feed it to chickens rather than eat it yourself.

Pat

**edited to remove name calling and trolling**

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite simple Pat... convert the heritage dual purpose free ranging flock
D.gif
to exclusively Cornish X (currently the bane of the susstainable farming crowd)
ep.gif
as they have the highest feed conversion rate of chickendom AND they can be housed in indoor crowded conditions . So keeping them in a garage will not be a problem
celebrate.gif
Also, add more battery cages for some Leghorn,( the best egg layers of chickendom) and keeping them over the bathtub is a win win.
duc.gif
Now, going to a feed store in an armored SUV with a machine gun on top to buy any feed may present a slight problem.
barnie.gif
gig.gif

Quote:
Where do you get your cornishX chicks from then?
wink.png

Now, going to a feed store in an armored SUV with a machine gun on top to buy any feed may present a slight problem.

Precisely
wink.png

BTW please not that snarky comments which evidently were deemed "name-calling" were directed at the original author of the article being linked to and discussed, NOT (I thought it was obviously, but maybe not obviously enough) the original POSTER on this thread -- so apologies if the original poster was offended before the mods edited my post

Pat​

I agree dont want to offend anybody personally. Just think that if that ever happened things would be much different than chickens in the bathroom.

Back
Top Bottom