Happy Chooks

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Northern CA
My Coop
My Coop
My mom and I went to lunch at the Cheesecake Factory. While eating, I was thinking, maybe I should buy a cheesecake to take to a family gathering this weekend - because I could pick different kinds and get something everyone likes.

I about keeled over
th.gif
and
ep.gif
. People seriously pay $50 for a dessert? I am a big time baker and have made my own cheesecakes, cakes, pies, etc from scratch myself - so I never buy desserts. I just can't imagine EVER paying that kind of money for a dessert - no matter how good it is.

So needless to say, I'm going to my family gathering with a homemade German Chocolate cake and a Lemon Raspberry cake.

I agree. Bake almost everything, and am shocked at the price of some things lately. My DH brought home a bag of potato chips the other day. Surprise!! More than a gallon of gas! More than a gallon of milk! Yikes.

th.gif
Are you kidding me? Who in the world would pay that for a cheescake?
I'd rather make something at home anyway. It taste better, its healthier, and you know where it came from.

My 88 year old Dad still makes NY style cheesecakes in his small kitchen to sell at his local farmers market and mom and pop restaurants in his town.

They weigh more than 8 lbs. and he charges $18 for one. The recipe is one he has had since he was 17 years old and working in a bakery in Brooklyn, NY.

When I use his recipe to make one, people tell me it's the best cheesecake they ever had. Eighteen dollars may seem like alot, but the cheeses he uses are so expensive he barely makes a profit. I think he still makes them because he enjoys making them, not for the profit.

Quote:
I'd pay $18, but no way in h-e-double toothpicks would I EVER pay $50 for a dessert. I could buy a prime rib for that.

My husband has a saying for stuff that's way overpriced, but ummm, it's not appropriate for our viewing audience here.
lol.png

I have the maybe snobbish rule of only buying the more expensive ice cream. Green and blacks and ben and jerry's but that is because the cheaper stuff has either reconstituted skimmed milk or whey powder no cream. I expect cream in my ice cream (this isnt easy to type as i have a feline washing session going on on my lap)

When you buy a dessert from a bakery, you are paying for more than the ingredients. The finished product is a representation of the art of the baker, and the money collected from its sale pays the artist. Balking at the price of a dessert and saying you'd rather make your own is fine, but that train of thought is the same as balking at the price of a painting and deciding to go to the art supply store and make your own. Yes, you can paint a seated, slightly smiling 16th Century Italian woman yourself, and it might turn out really beautiful, but it won't be The Mona Lisa. The cost of the painting represents more than the material that went into it. You're also paying for the skill of the artist.

Just something to keep in mind.

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom