The cost of desserts - I am SHOCKED!

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

That's you, and that's your right. I'm just not too keen on characterizing people who do differently as something less....

I didn't do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
thumbsup.gif

That's you, and that's your right. I'm just not too keen on characterizing people who do differently as something less....

I didn't do that.

I know...but someone did, and that's why I responded to this thread.

smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
$50 for a cheesecake? I am thinkin for most people that is outside the range of normal.

It all depends on who is in your group of "most people." I actually used to work for Cheesecake Factory, and the lines to buy whole cakes at holiday times would be in the neighborhood of 30 or more people at a time. If it is true that "most people" don't buy them, then how are they selling so many?

It's perfectly fine if it's silly FOR YOU to spend that much on a cheesecake, but that doesn't mean the people who do buy them are silly. Likewise, where chickens are seen for utility purposes only, people will think it's silly for themselves to spend more than a few dollars on one. Does that mean that those buying a dozen hatching eggs for a hundred dollars are thus silly? To each his own.

tongue.png

Can I pay $50 for a cheesecake? Absolutely. Am I going to? Not a chance. I can make a cheesecake that tastes just as good for under $10. I'm sure The Cheesecake Factory can make it even cheaper, as they buy in bulk. So, at a minimum, it's marked up 5 times it's cost. That is ridiculous. Just because some people pay it, doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

I say the lines are long at the Holidays, because most people today don't cook. I can't tell you how many people I used to work with that thought cooking was soup and sandwiches for dinner. If people did their own cooking, they wouldn't be selling pre-cooked Holiday dinners at the grocery store. Everything has been reduced to convenience foods, which tells you people don't cook.

I wanted buy a slice of cheese cake for my DH for our anniversary. I went to our local store and it was 3.99 for 1 SLICE!!!!! 1 slice.. I couldn't even find a price on the whole cakes in the
fridge section by the bakery...
I made some brownies instead.

Carol

Quote:
It all depends on who is in your group of "most people." I actually used to work for Cheesecake Factory, and the lines to buy whole cakes at holiday times would be in the neighborhood of 30 or more people at a time. If it is true that "most people" don't buy them, then how are they selling so many?

It's perfectly fine if it's silly FOR YOU to spend that much on a cheesecake, but that doesn't mean the people who do buy them are silly. Likewise, where chickens are seen for utility purposes only, people will think it's silly for themselves to spend more than a few dollars on one. Does that mean that those buying a dozen hatching eggs for a hundred dollars are thus silly? To each his own.

tongue.png

Can I pay $50 for a cheesecake? Absolutely. Am I going to? Not a chance. I can make a cheesecake that tastes just as good for under $10. I'm sure The Cheesecake Factory can make it even cheaper, as they buy in bulk. So, at a minimum, it's marked up 5 times it's cost. That is ridiculous. Just because some people pay it, doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

I say the lines are long at the Holidays, because most people today don't cook. I can't tell you how many people I used to work with that thought cooking was soup and sandwiches for dinner. If people did their own cooking, they wouldn't be selling pre-cooked Holiday dinners at the grocery store. Everything has been reduced to convenience foods, which tells you people don't cook.

I guess it comes down to philosophy and how you phrase things. There are things I will characterize as "ridiculous" FOR ME...but I don't extend that to say that something I wouldn't do is "ridiculous" FOR ANYONE.

smile.png

Anyone who lives in an area that even has a Cheesecake Factory has far more money than I do (I didn't realize they even still existed) You wouldn't catch me within 100 miles of that place. I think the last time I even saw one was when I was a teenager going to college at Ga State University.

Kelly, you're right! People aren't great stewards of their money these days. They could make a far better cheesecake for far less $$ than any commercial bakery, I bet.

Quote:
I am with you Cyn! I will make my own or, since for the time being I am employed at a place that sells cheescake and I get a great discount, will buy from there. I buy my shoes, clothes etc either, on sale, from a consignment store or at Goodwill. Got 5 almost brand new pair of jeans a couple weeks ago for 3.99 pair....... Even if I was a millionaire, I would want to stay that way..... so would continue shopping the way I do now.

Quote:
Isn't cheesecake factory a chain restaurant? So all their cheesecake is the same, no special recipe or individuality. So I highly doubt their cheesecakes are comparable to art.

Back
Top Bottom