the cream gene

Where did everybody go? Did you all get so much cream in your chickens that you took a coffee break with cream? I am wondering if the cream gene is the best way to get straw gold hackles in my black gold laced Ameraucana project. Lyne Peterson sent me hatching eggs including a few phoenix EE with the cream gene, but she mentioned losing too much lacing and that the birds are scrawny. The eggs were small, and at a couple months old, the black gold birds are all smaller than the Calico project birds the same age. She suggested I start another pen, so I am looking for LF with the creme gene unless the Dilute gene will work as well. I don't mind the darker gold hackles but don't want orange. I do have access to Salmon Faverolle but I'm new to chicken genetics and don't know how I would breed out the autosexing trait or the autosomal red, assuming it would turn the hens' breast lacing reddish? It would help if I can get a birchen based LF with the cream gene because I don't have any brown red Ameraucanas, just sports with gold hackles from a BBS flock along with the pullet below. I do not want Wyandottes in the mix because of yellow skin and personality. Their lacing is gold black instead of black gold anyway.

Would the cream gene cause this color? Buffy (pictured below) is supposed to be wheaten Ameraucana from a blue wheaten roo over a wheaten hen, but she has green legs. All 6 of her sisters appear to be paints or Super Blues (dominant white leghorn x Ameraucana) similar to the second picture if that helps.

If Buffy does not have the cream gene I need for the black gold project, I will be just as happy if anyone can tell me what color rooster to mate her with. Even if her "lacing" is really just edging, I want to breed more like her. So what color Ameraucana rooster do I need? Or EE. I do not have many years to work with this.

Same mating question goes for my pullet similar to a hen posted earlier in this thread. Henk69 said she is a red enhanced silver wheaten with hackle black without columbian. Here is my pullet with grayish underfeathers, not cream like Buffy's. I don't know if that means she is not wheaten based for sure.

She might already be a hen now if she's the one who started laying a dark brown egg. If so, never mind a laced Ameraucana. I would like to make some pretty laced Olive Eggers that breed true, so I still need to know what color Ameraucana or EE rooster I should use.

I hope someone has the time and knowledge to help me get more pretty lacing in any color except pumpkin orange. But the most important question is how can I best achieve straw gold lacing in the black gold project?

Back
Top Bottom