The day I knew would come but have been dreading is here :( prayers

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Pumpkinpup, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    It is official. I am getting rid of my farm and moving in with my Grandparents to take care of them.
    Papa is 93 and diabetic, MawMaw is 86 and her mind is fading fast. They still live at home and have been doing pretty well up until recently. Things went down hill rapidly after the death of my mother last January.
    I am very emotional. I will do this because it is the right thing to do and because I love my family but it is breaking my heart to have to get rid of my cows, pigs and most of my dairy goats. [​IMG]
    I have until the end of January to make this all happen. Lots of work and many fears of obsticles in the way. Please just pray for me and my family that things go smoothly, my babies go to good homes and we get the needed repairs done to grandparents house done in time.

Edited to add, if anyone is interested in a nubian dairy goat, registered jersey heifer or a yearling brahman heifer, let me know. Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  2. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    I have faced similar decisions and I know how hard that is. Are you sure they can't come live with you?

3. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Quote:I will not ask them to uproot from the family home of over 100 years. I think it would be too hard on them. I am young (well I suppose that is depending on how you look at it, lol) and will recover. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  4. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    As hard as this move will be for you.. you will be blessed -- time with family can't be replaced and your memories from this time will give you pleasure when they are no longer with you...

I am sorry that you are having to place your animals in new homes..

Shelly

5. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Quote:You are right. My time with them is way more precious than anything else so this is a good thing although sad.

6. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry. It's hard when it's a choice between family and the things you love, but I do agree with you in this being the right thing. And who knows? Perhaps at some point in the future, you could purchase another farm and have a second go at it [​IMG]

7. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    [​IMG] Sorry to hear that. For them and you.

8. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    I don't know what to say, but your grandparents must be very special to have such a family member. In this day and age, respecting and honoring your elders seem to be a thing of the past. Do things legally, get power of attorney and healthcare power of attorney now while they are still lucid. Otherwise, family members who have nothing but their own interests in mind will try to run the show. Believe me, I know from personal experience.
    It was an honor and a privilege to care for my aging parents, but I didn't move in with them. It is a huge, life altering thing to do on your part. As soon as they qualify for home health, and eventually hospice, get them involved. You will need all the help you can get. Blessings and prayers to you.

9. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Quote:PS, I might be interested in the jersey heifer. LMK the details.

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] For those we love, we do what we have to do. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by