The deed is done...

Frosty

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 30, 2008
ND
My best friend and I did 6 turkeys and 3 guineas. I don't think we could have asked for better weather! Usually it's aroud 8 degrees for a high, yesterday it went up to 39! We didn't need to start the heater, but it was still cold enough for the water in the chill tank to stay cold.

The turkeys were white and bronze, all BB from the feed store. The toms were pretty big boys, but the hens seemed to be pretty small. They seemed to have more of a heritage build so I am wondering if they were crosses? I can't remember what hattchery the feed store uses, but I have got geese and ducks before that were either crossed or just not up to breed standards. They all should still be tasty, though!

My best friend and I did 6 turkeys and 3 guineas. I don't think we could have asked for better weather! Usually it's aroud 8 degrees for a high, yesterday it went up to 39! We didn't need to start the heater, but it was still cold enough for the water in the chill tank to stay cold.

The turkeys were white and bronze, all BB from the feed store. The toms were pretty big boys, but the hens seemed to be pretty small. They seemed to have more of a heritage build so I am wondering if they were crosses? I can't remember what hattchery the feed store uses, but I have got geese and ducks before that were either crossed or just not up to breed standards. They all should still be tasty, though!
your high has been our lows. and I think it's cold!

RobertH

your high has been our lows. and I think it's cold!

RobertH
After having temps drop into the single digits at night, that felt pretty darn good to me! Calling for 32 the night before Thanksgiving, great temp to leave it out brining!

I just did the deed and just finished cleaning up.
Today was a great day also its in the 60s great to Dispatch 1 Tom that I got an order for and reduced my Rooster count by 2 .
My Son helped do some plucking he is not one that's like to see real blood if your talking about video game blood that's different.
I will get to try one of my Toms at Christmas for the first time.
I hope this School teacher enjoys her Red Bourbon Tom That I just put in the freezer.

You are in for a treat if you never tried it before... I've never tried guinea. I've heard it's a delicacy, I guess I'll find out!

Congratulations on your birds. I processed 5 today also. 3 dressed over 30lbs. Hopefully, I can find a roaster big enough. Highs were 40 today in NH. Just right for processing.

Congratulations on your birds. I processed 5 today also. 3 dressed over 30lbs. Hopefully, I can find a roaster big enough. Highs were 40 today in NH. Just right for processing.
Dh bought a new roaster to handle the 36# dressed turkey-- they STILL didn't fit!! I used heavy foil to extend the edge of the pan to catch the drippings and direct them into the pan. WOrks really well. All 6 birds roasted and eaten. Hope you enjoy your birds as much as we did.

I brine them the night before, then start up the charcoal grill outside and smoke them. I use apple wood from our property for the smoking wood. Now I'm hungry!

i brought all 15 of my turkeys to the local prison. they do the complete processing for a little over $3.00 each. I pick them up the next day partially frozen. i'm sure i could do it myself, but wouldn't like it

Back
Top Bottom