The Diet Doth Confuseth Me! (Renal Diet Thread)

Blooie

Team Spina Bifida
Premium member
6 Years
Feb 25, 2014
Northwestern Wyoming
My Coop
My Coop
Blooie, I'm not much of a cook (I can do it but I don't enjoy it) but two things I cannot do without are my instapot and pure monkfruit sweetner. My husband is diabetic and I have gluten intolerance that has gotten worse with time. So no sugar or breads for us.
I know sugar is a no-no for renal disease. (At least, I think it is?)
Pure monk fruit sweetner (not the kind with stevia) is excellent and supposedly an antioxidant. I use Lakanto brand.
No restrictions on sugar, except that is “assumed” that kidney patients should limit it. That’s more because kidney disease is a known issue with diabetes, I think.

I have nothing to add, but I'm still :pop or maybe I should say :caf since I can't eat popcorn! It's amazing how many of us share dietary issues! It's a good thing there are so many options available or we'd all starve. Imagine if our choices were hay and water, or ... nothing! Blooie, I was sorry to hear about your sister. :hugs
Thanks. That was a tough time - I wasn’t sure there was any light at the end of that dark tunnel.

You mean I've missed the opportunity to fill my freezer? ;)
Probably many opportunities, Bruce!

Sorry I’m late responding to posts. Yesterday was a baaaaad day!

rjohns39

Wrangler
Project manager
Premium member
Aug 20, 2015
Smith County, TN
Blooie let's talk about salt for a bit... you can make salt free stock/broth to enhance the flavor of things. Most recipes over exaggerate the salt content. with the exception of baking salt is rarely a requirement. In most recipes I cook I don't add salt, unless its designed to extract juices. So, If I'm making a soup, I'll add less than a 1/4 tsp of salt to the onions, celery and carrots. As they are sauteing. I've found that you get a LOT more flavor adding salt after it is being cooked. Point is, you can make stock/broth to season your bland foods without any salt.

N F C

April in Wyoming
Staff member
Premium member
6 Years
Dec 12, 2013
Wyoming
Blooie let's talk about salt for a bit... you can make salt free stock/broth to enhance the flavor of things. Most recipes over exaggerate the salt content. with the exception of baking salt is rarely a requirement. In most recipes I cook I don't add salt, unless its designed to extract juices. So, If I'm making a soup, I'll add less than a 1/4 tsp of salt to the onions, celery and carrots. As they are sauteing. I've found that you get a LOT more flavor adding salt after it is being cooked. Point is, you can make stock/broth to season your bland foods without any salt.
Good tip Bob!

Blooie

Team Spina Bifida
Premium member
6 Years
Feb 25, 2014
Northwestern Wyoming
My Coop
My Coop
I’m so glad you all are here. I’m beginning to think this is doable! You’ve given me much needed encouragement!

Funny, Ma used to make stock all the time and she always told us to use as little salt as possible. She said she wanted to taste the food - if she was craving salt she could just lick the salt shaker! So none of us use much salt in stock either. I never thought about salting the veggies first, though. We always put a little bit in the meat we were searing off in the bottom of the stock pot before we added the other stuff. That’s a good hint!

bruceha2000

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
NW Vermont
Yes you have. And throw in a raccoon too. Yum.
All in all, I prefer both species just stay the heck away. The 'chucks cause all sorts of damage with their tunnels and the coons go after the chickens.

Point is, you can make stock/broth to season your bland foods without any salt.
I don't put salt in my chicken stock. So many other flavors already in there with the pasture raised chicken carcass, veggies and herbs.

ValerieJ

Enabler
Premium member
Jul 24, 2016
Washington State
The link for the tomato substitute introduced me to Avjar. What an awesome thing that is to have in the cupboard! So I looked for a recipe for Avjar, thinking then I/you can control what goes into it. This recipe sounds so good! I'm making it and either canning it or freezing it. It would be a great substitute for canned tomatoes!!! I can't wait to try it.

ETA: It would be a perfect substitute for the canned tomatoes in the Chana Masala recipe. Might even be better!
I made the Ajvar and took a photo. The chunky one on the right is the recipe above. The blended option is a Serbian version, and it's so much better. It would make a good substitute for tomato sauce! :thumbsup
92D566A4-84F5-4C48-AD07-8C0DEF2E79C0.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom