The doxycycline does'nt help to my sick chicken

Tiffany443

Hatching
May 21, 2019
50B487F9-FC27-4FFB-9001-AADD6D536FAF.jpeg
i rescued a sick silkie chicken, she is sneezing, has an heavy breathing and also one of her eyes is puffy with white bubbles. she eats and drinks in an okay amont (she has a small appetite) and she is only active around people as she follows them. i started gaving her the medicine 6 days ago (once a day) and there is'nt any improvements to her syptoms. her nose is clean, her tempatore feels fine and her throut does'nt have any thing strange in it. what should i do ?

Last edited:
she is sneezing, has an heavy breathing and also one of her eyes is puffy with white bubbles.

Hi @Tiffany443 :frow Welcome To BYC

Where are you located in the world (state/country)?
Do you have a photo of the Doxycycline that you are using? What dose are you giving her?
Does she have a bad odor?
Do you have other chickens?

Sometimes antibiotics can help with symptoms of respiratory disease it depends on what you are dealing with. Infectious Bronchitis, Infectious Coryza, ILT, Mycoplasma and Newcastle are a few of the more common diseases.

For the eyes, flush with saline and remove any pus/discharge a couple of times a day, apply an eye ointment like Terramycin.
As for antibiotics, if she is receiving the correct dose of Doxycycline and is not responding, you are likely dealing with a virus, but without testing it would be hard to know.

If you have other chickens, it would be good to find out what she has since most respiratory disease make birds carriers even if they get better and have no symptoms. What she has could spread to your other chickens so practicing biosecurity would be wise. Change clothes and wash your hands after you have tended to her and are now going to see to your existing chickens. Do this every time.

hey:frow im from israel, my Doxycycline came in a cleay glass buttle (we got it from the local vet) i am giving her 0.15 cc , she has problem cleaning her self so her bed odor comes from poor hygiene but after i give her a beth she smells fine for the following day and i have other chicknes . my problem is that i dont know were the diases came from, she was with my other chicken wich on of them had chicken flu, at the time we gave her Doxycycline and she gor better

Hi @Tiffany443 :frow Welcom

Hi @Tiffany443 :frow Welcome To BYC

Where are you located in the world (state/country)?
Do you have a photo of the Doxycycline that you are using? What dose are you giving her?
Does she have a bad odor?
Do you have other chickens?

Sometimes antibiotics can help with symptoms of respiratory disease it depends on what you are dealing with. Infectious Bronchitis, Infectious Coryza, ILT, Mycoplasma and Newcastle are a few of the more common diseases.

For the eyes, flush with saline and remove any pus/discharge a couple of times a day, apply an eye ointment like Terramycin.
As for antibiotics, if she is receiving the correct dose of Doxycycline and is not responding, you are likely dealing with a virus, but without testing it would be hard to know.

If you have other chickens, it would be good to find out what she has since most respiratory disease make birds carriers even if they get better and have no symptoms. What she has could spread to your other chickens so practicing biosecurity would be wise. Change clothes and wash your hands after you have tended to her and are now going to see to your existing chickens. Do this every time.

hey :frow I’m from Israel I don’t have a photo of the Doxycycline , I give her 1.5 cc. She has a bad odor from poor hygiene because One of her legs is very weak , but if I give her a bath she will smell fine for a couple of days . I do have other chickens , she was with them and then she got sick\got sicker, then we put her in a cage inside the house and she hangs with us . Then one of my old chicken got sick , the vet told us it might happen because she was sick with chicken flu, we treated her with Doxycycline and she healed . I don’t know who got who sick but my old chicken condition is much better then my new one ( we now treat my old chicken also in the house with Doxycycline in a separate cage) . Thanks for the eye tip I will try it ! What should I do if it is a virus? And what practicing biosecurity means ? Thanks for the help!!

I would start using some warm wet compresses to her face and eye twice a day. As Wyorp Rock recommended, flush the eye with saline, and apply an antibiotic eye ointment such as Terramycin or Neosporin/Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. Doxycycline does a good job treating many bacteriaat the correct dosage, but a few things, such as pseudomonas can be resistant. Dosage is 5-10 mg per pound twice a day. But the eye needs to be physically cleaned gently as well. If she needs help with eating and drinking, sometimes adding a lot of water to a small bowl of chicken feed to make a wet mash could be helpful. Chick vitamins or 1/4 tablet daily of vitamin B complex would be good and may increase appetite.

Back
Top Bottom