The dreaded question.. sex this please!

When I first saw the mahogany pop I was like ohhhnooo.. but it's not on it's shoulders and pretty evenly distributed. If it is a cockeral, he'll make beautiful babies! In the read this post, there's an EE hen that looks super similar to Hedwig's coloring so I'm still 🤞
The red coloration can be anywhere on the body, chest, shoulders, back, neck, & saddles are common.

I have an EE hen that had a lot of cockerel votes as a chick, no guarantees on yours, but it doesn't seem to have any pink to its comb. Here are pictures of Grump Grumps, shes not real happy to be photographed, if you search her name you'll see her threed, I think it was titled EE roo? #2.

Since some EEs are tricky, there is still a chance yours could be a cockerel, the best way to know for sure will be to wait a few more weeks!
She's adorable!
Love those EE 'tude looks!
I'll try to find your post to see what she looked like as a teenager 😉

True, but I have seen red colored pullets/hens. I appreciate your feedback! Time shall tell what Hedwig is😉
I’m confused. Am I understanding that Easter Egger pullets aren’t usually red? I have two others that look exactly like her (1st pic). I was trying to determine the sex of my eight week old chick from this girl (2nd pic), and the two (🤣) replies I got said cockerel. What am I missing here?
3226E627-11E7-44B4-B699-54EBB9C848CE.jpeg
DD5DD2CD-F904-4EC5-A3D2-4C06250D464A.jpeg

I’m confused. Am I understanding that Easter Egger pullets aren’t usually red? I have two others that look exactly like her (1st pic). I was trying to determine the sex of my eight week old chick from this girl (2nd pic), and the two (🤣) replies I got said cockerel. What am I missing here?
View attachment 3495586View attachment 3495587
I think it's more the red coloring popping up as they get older. I've definitely seen red EE pullets but the replies here are all saying the more red, the more likely they're cockerals. All of my other girls have been blue or black babies (I'm a sucker for those Grey fluffy babies) and they wind up every color of the rainbow. I guess we'll see what it turns out to be soon.

View attachment 3495586View attachment 3495587
He looks like a late bloomer cockerel.

Females don't usually have red, but males most commonly have it. Occasionally you'll get a male without red, but it isn't very common.

I think it's more the red coloring popping up as they get older. I've definitely seen red EE pullets but the replies here are all saying the more red, the more likely they're cockerals. All of my other girls have been blue or black babies (I'm a sucker for those Grey fluffy babies) and they wind up every color of the rainbow. I guess we'll see what it turns out to be soon.
Red in particular areas. But red in amounts like this 4 week old, is usually a male.
Don't let the red breast feathers fool you.
20200506_155548.jpg
20200506_155441.jpg
20200506_155356.jpg
Fully grown.
20201201_115209.jpg
20201201_115243.jpg

Back
Top Bottom