The Duck Duck Story

9Catsz

Songster
8 Years
Sep 1, 2011
Southeastern Missouri
I got Duck Duck this past Sunday (05/13).

This goose hatched with it's head completely twisted upside down. His legs and head twitched uncontrollably and he could not sit up so the breeder threw him away a few days before I visited on Sunday.

We were in his incubation room candling some peafowl eggs when I heard Duck Duck's cries. I asked my friend if he had anything hatching and he said it was probably a goose that hatched a few days ago that wasn't going to make it. I found Duck Duck among the discarded egg shells from the others who'd hatched and I took him home.

I'd read right here on BYC that high doses of vitamin E and selenium can cure wry neck, which is what Duck Duck hatched with. I held him in an upright position 5 or 6 times an hour every hour so he could drink and eat. But when I put him down he'd flop right over onto his back, legs flailing, with his neck twisted underneath him. I gave him one full capsule of vitamin E the second I got home and another on Monday and another today. He also got a full tablet of selenium dissolved in his water and i changed the water several times a day.

I noticed improvement within 12 hours and by Monday morning he could sit upright as long as he stayed still which I think he realized was in his best interest so he'd remain still for 10 min. or so, which is a feat for a gosling. He still had the uncontrollable twitching of his legs and he couldn't control his neck and I still had to hold him upright so he could eat & drink.

By Tuesday morning (this a.m.) he could get around on his own and eat and drink just fine. his neck was still trying to turn, but he could stop it. The leg and head twitching was all but gone!

And now, Tuesday night, you almost can't tell he he even had wry neck!

I named him Duck Duck because, for whatever reason, I kept calling this goose a duck.

Now for some pics!

Duck Duck writhing around onto his back after I sat him upright in a normal position. It was hard to watch him struggle!

By Monday morning he could sit upright, but his neck still wanted to turn onto his back and if he tried to walk he'd flop onto his back again. If I put him in a sitting position, he could stay like that as long as he kept still.

I took this picture about an hour ago, which is about 48 hours since I rescued him from the trash.

And another 'cuz he's so cute!

Last edited:
It's sad to know that any animal was tossed out as trash and left to die miserably. Every life, no matter how small, should be respected, and I'm so happy to see you and this baby both rewarded for it! I hope all goes well for Duck Duck
hugs.gif

Awesome, We have a duck we got at Easter from a photographer after the pictures and the mis- handling of the duck and his siblings we were called to come get them two were fine but one had issues walking and it got worse has the days went by, We now have gimpy duck living in the house with an outside pen for nice days where he can see the other ducks will start building his new inside coop and let him stay in the dog room in the house at night. Gimpy is determined and all the dogs love to see him. So glad to see your little guy let us know how he comes along.

Awesome, We have a duck we got at Easter from a photographer after the pictures and the mis- handling of the duck and his siblings we were called to come get them two were fine but one had issues walking and it got worse has the days went by, We now have gimpy duck living in the house with an outside pen for nice days where he can see the other ducks will start building his new inside coop and let him stay in the dog room in the house at night. Gimpy is determined and all the dogs love to see him. So glad to see your little guy let us know how he comes along.

Glad Gimps and the others got a good home and not tossed in the trash after they weren't needed any more.

It's sad to know that any animal was tossed out as trash and left to die miserably. Every life, no matter how small, should be respected, and I'm so happy to see you and this baby both rewarded for it! I hope all goes well for Duck Duck
hugs.gif

I was quite shocked that my good friend would simply toss a live animal in the trash and then be so callous about it as if he does it all the time...which I bet he does. If he thought it was going to die, then he should have put it out of its misery and not left it to suffer like that. Can you imagine how many chicks get tossed just like Duck Duck at every hatchery in the U.S.A., not to mention the old farmers like my friend who do it too? If I think about it too much, it makes me sick.

Beautiful, keep us posted on your beautiful rescue.

I will do that.

I love your part of the story.....not your friends part at all, but your part is amazing. Good for you for taking him....I hope you are sharing his accomplishment with your friend, so he can see the improvement..............SUCH a cute baby, and a wonderful story. So glad you shared.

I love your part of the story.....not your friends part at all, but your part is amazing. Good for you for taking him....I hope you are sharing his accomplishment with your friend, so he can see the improvement..............SUCH a cute baby, and a wonderful story. So glad you shared.
X2 I want to give you and Duck Duck this
hugs.gif

I'm so glad that you were there to take him home.
Me too!

I'm glad I was there too. I still can't believe he would dump the little guy in the trash. My friend will be coming over here Friday and I'm going to show Duck Duck to him...I also forgot to ask him what species of gosling Duck Duck is.
X2 I want to give you and Duck Duck this
hugs.gif
Awwwww, Duck Duck gives you a big tweety kiss back. And this gosling gives the best cuddles. I keep saying 'he', but I'm not sure of sex. I'll keep ya'll updated as to his progress. Soon he's going to get to go on an outside adventure!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom