The Duck Thread

Such a sad note paired with so many positive introductions into the world.
This time last year I was dealing with some predator issues and it always sucks no matter what. I'm sorry for the loss, I also dread the day I have to make that choice with my dog, he's like one of the kids you know. Family. Hope at least the ducklings can keep a smile on your face.

My WH would beg to differ, I have a pair that's integrated into a group of 7 mallards. And even tho the Welsh can't fly with the others you would swear they thought they were every time there's a flutter of the group back to the pond. ;)
Attimus

Yes I would agree that WH get along well with mallards, I don't have any WH myself, so i don't have any experience with them. I was just pointing out that bigger tend to breeds bully mallards and when/if a bigger bird tries to mate with a mallard, the mallard usually dies (if was female) KC and other small duck breeds are best to keep with mallards because they have a fair chance at winning "fights" and mallards can successfully breed with other smaller birds

Such a sad note paired with so many positive introductions into the world.
This time last year I was dealing with some predator issues and it always sucks no matter what. I'm sorry for the loss, I also dread the day I have to make that choice with my dog, he's like one of the kids you know. Family. Hope at least the ducklings can keep a smile on your face.

My WH would beg to differ, I have a pair that's integrated into a group of 7 mallards. And even tho the Welsh can't fly with the others you would swear they thought they were every time there's a flutter of the group back to the pond. ;)
Attimus

Yes I would agree that WH get along well with mallards, I don't have any WH myself, so i don't have any experience with them. I was just pointing out that bigger tend to breeds bully mallards and when/if a bigger bird tries to mate with a mallard, the mallard usually dies (if was female) KC and other small duck breeds are best to keep with mallards because they have a fair chance at winning "fights" and mallards can successfully breed with other smaller birds

Mallards get along with other ducks but you have to have the right ratios of males to females. That is not the same thing as saying mallards dont get along with other ducks.

Mallards get along with other ducks but you have to have the right ratios of males to females. That is not the same thing as saying mallards dont get along with other ducks.

Mallards are very small ducks so if you get a large duck (such as pekin or Muscovy or Cayuga) they will take dominance over the mallard and fight with it and since mallards are so so small they will lose. I'm sure they're are some exceptions (like everything) but in genrel you just should not keep a single mallard with bigger ducks. This is all I'm saying

Mallards are very small ducks so if you get a large duck (such as pekin or Muscovy or Cayuga) they will take dominance over the mallard and fight with it and since mallards are so so small they will lose. I'm sure they're are some exceptions (like everything) but in genrel you just should not keep a single mallard with bigger ducks. This is all I'm saying

Peep is my only mallard in a 20+ flock of jumbo pekins, Cayugas, welshies, KCs, Canadian geese and a Toulouse.... Individual personalities, space, feeding areas, nesting areas and introduction methods go a long way too.

Peep is my only mallard in a 20+ flock of jumbo pekins, Cayugas, welshies, KCs, Canadian geese and a Toulouse.... Individual personalities, space, feeding areas, nesting areas and introduction methods go a long way too.

Hey I have all the same ducks as you! Except no WH :) and I have 5 jumbo pekin 1 normal pekin 7 mallards 6 Cayuga 2 Rouen 3 KC and 1 candian goose

Back
Top Bottom